WOT: Hosting a beer tasting party tonight

JimVW

• Members

I'm having five of my mates over tonight (one's from New Zealand, so I can say "mates") to discuss the merits of some of the Belgian ales I've been hoarding.

It's gonna be halfway serious; We'll go through them one at a time, and I'll have pens and paper for everyone to take notes on. On the other hand, nothing that we do ends up being too serious.

Has anyone done this before? I'm trying to figure out what to serve food-wise to help clear the palate and provide a bit of substantialness in the tummy. I'm thinking cheese and crackers, but I don't want anything too salty or it could interfere with the beer flavor.

Any ideas?

And what kind of music goes with Belgian ales?

• Members

any food works, especially brats and keilbasi. Don't worry about salt or food contaminating the taste, just have a glass of water for every to clear their palette with. I went to one a couple of years ago that was a blast. Always start with the lightest beer first then proceed to the dark, thick soupy, chew twice before you swallow kinda beers (my favorite).

How many are you tasting?

• Members

Originally posted by covertmusic724

any food works, especially brats and keilbasi. Don't worry about salt or food contaminating the taste, just have a glass of water for every to clear their palette with. I went to one a couple of years ago that was a blast. Always start with the lightest beer first then proceed to the dark, thick soupy, chew twice before you swallow kinda beers (my favorite).

How many are you tasting?

Thanks for the advice!

I have six lined up, plus one of the guys is bringng two home brews.

• Members

oh.. we (my friends at the time) had a belgian beer fest/contest.. we had to drink as much as possible to have the most points.. points were alcoholpercentages... at one point i was leading cause i had a "delirium tremens" "orval".. but a bit later and a few more beers i was done.. had to spend the rest of the evening in the toilet...

• Members

Originally posted by digital

oh.. we (my friends at the time) had a belgian beer fest/contest.. we had to drink as much as possible to have the most points.. points were alcoholpercentages... at one point i was leading cause i had a "delirium tremens" "orval".. but a bit later and a few more beers i was done.. had to spend the rest of the evening in the toilet...

That isn't my idea of fun.

• Members
Originally posted by digital

belgian beers?... ask me... i'm belgian.... which ones are you planning on buying/drinking... make sure they are cold.. nothing worse then drinking half warm beers.; takes away half the taste...

I won't be able to remember them all now...

Duvel
St. Barnabus ABT
St. Barnabus Triple [edit - it's not the triple, but it is another St. Barnabus]
Piraat Tripel IPA

A German hefe weiss -- Franzistaner?

I'm missing one - I can see the label in my mind, but I forget what it is... White bottle, dragon on it -- Gulden Draak!

They are all chilled and ready to go. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by covertmusic724

I'm jealous, I've tried none of those beers.

I'll be over later, the problem is that I'll be driving from PA.

So leave some beer in the fridge, I'll try not to wake anybody.

I'll leave the light on.

Even though I live in Iowa, I have access to some great beers, thanks to John's Grocery. Man, what a place. Take a look at that beer list, and realize that the first page is just the beers starting with the letter "A". :thu:

• Members

The new Whole Foods down the road from me has all kinds of weird beer. I've resolved to try them all, one six-pack at a time. So far I've liked Peter's Wicked Ale (really want to try the Wanderlust Winter Cream Ale) and Flying Dog Pale Ale:

bottle-doggiestyle.jpg

• Members

JimVW, you are my new best friend. That's a great site.

A couple of years ago my sister, a few friends and I started a beer bottle collection for a few months. The stipulation was that every bottle had to be from a case that cost at least $25. We ended up with 240 bottles before the built in bookshelf began to sag.

Unfortunately I have'nt been able to keep up my pace of trying a new case of beer every 3 days.

Hey look at that it's almost beer:30

Archived