EH Tube Wiggler

Lensrock

• Members

I just listened to some clips of this pedal yesterday and it seems like an awesome trem/vibrato/rotating speaker simulator. Anyone have any experience with it? How do the leslie and hammond settings sound as compared to a rotomachine or rotosphere? And, how come no one talks about it when comparing other rotating speaker sims?

Phil

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was looking at the Wiggler some and was wondering why it isn't talked about in leslie sim topics too. I'm not sure why exctaly. It's analog, tube driven, etc. The only thing I can think of is that the speed cannot be adjusted via a foot switch. It has one knob to control the speed, so you wouldn't be able to switch from slow/fast without turning the knob, which would be a major pain in a live situation.

The clips of it seem good though, and I like EHX in general. It might be good for someone who doesn't adjust the speed much or doesn't need to in a live situation.

I'm still deciding which Leslie sim I'm going to go for since my Rotovibe isn't cutting it. I'm leaning towards the Roto Machine. But I might wait for the Boss RT-20 to come out. Otherwise I can't get myself to spend the money of a Rotosphere, RotoSim, or Destination Rotation for a single effect pedal.

• Members

If you get it, report back with a review if you don't mind.

I guess the other option it wouldn't have, that kind of goes along with not being able to change between two speeds, is being able to control the ramping between speeds. And also built in drive that the others seem to have.

The clips do sound good. And I saw an old NAMM video of it somewhere on the web.

• Members

hey there...

So I found that video I mentioned, someone demoing the Wiggler, check it out:

http://images.music123.com/downloads/Electro-Harmonix/12Wiggler.mpg

So now you got me reconsidering this pedal again. It does seem like a good one. Maybe it isn't a necessity to be able to switch between two speeds in a live setting...hmmm...

Another option it wouldn't have is the blend between drum/horn which is basically like a tone knob I guess.

• Members

Apparantly we're the only ones interested at the moment...anyone out there use the Wiggler for a leslie sim?

Weighing out my options...

Wiggler:

$190/new, ~$125/used

All analog, tube driven

No foot control over speed switching, no ramping, no horn/drum balance. But nice analog sound.

Rotosphere:

$400/new, ~$250/used

All analog, tube driven

Has all the options but very expensive, would only buy used myself.

Roto Machine:

$119/new

Has all the options, but all digital which isn't ideal to me...but very affordable and small.

What to do....hmmm....don't really want to spend $250 for a used Rotosphere even though most think it's the best one.

• Members

I just happen to have made some intense testing of the wiggler in a shop the last days. I really wanted to like the pedal, but ...

... first of all they seem to have some serious reliability problems. It took no less than 4 units to find one that worked properly. I have to admit the tremolo sounds decent, but the 4 so called "vibrato modes" which I was interested in mostly didn't catch me. I mean they were not bad but for a leslie sim or a vibrato I think there are better options. I like my TC Chorus or Arion SCH-1 better for that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I bought a Wiggler from MF a few days ago. It took about ten minutes before I yanked my Roto Machine off my board.

It's warm, smooth and quiet and it it works as advertised. The Line 6 sounded cheap. It also hissed like an SOB even with a dedicated power

supply. The Wiggler just sounds "right". I can't explain it any better than that.

• Members

Originally posted by Lensrock

Man, that sucks. I really wanted to like this pedal. There isnt anywhere I know of that I can try one out either. I dont get it, it sounds amazing in all the clips I've heard. Anyone else?

i've learned that i cant depend on sound clips to buy gear most of the time. if your looking for a rotating speaker sound , boss has a new unit out that does just that. A voodoo lab micro vibe is pretty cool to. good luck!

• Members

Originally posted by bluesmann

i've learned that i cant depend on sound clips to buy gear most of the time. if your looking for a rotating speaker sound , boss has a new unit out that does just that. A voodoo lab micro vibe is pretty cool to. good luck!

Thanks. I have a Rotomachine, which is a rotating speaker sim, but I think I'm looking for something more along the lines of the Wiggler after all, More of a phasey, swirly sound instead of so much chorus.

• Members

The Wiggler and the Tube Zipper are my favorite EH tube pedals (and they're designed by fellow forumite and all around good guy, puretube).

I think the assessment of the Wiggler not being a Leslie sim, but more of a swirly modulation thing is accurate. It does a wide variety of tremolo AND vibrato and combinations thereof. A lot of really nice sounds in there...

• Members

Tom is absolutely right about the Wiggler not having been intended to be a rotating speaker sim at all, while being designed.

It does however have some settings (e.g. "Hamm"-mode, which can remind of a famous scanner vibrato, often used in old organs that in turn were amplified by Leslies),

and esp. the "Looz"-mode,

(originally labelled "Lezz"-mode by me, but that got lost in the transition :) ),

which indeed produces an extra phase modulation,

which at low "intensity"-levels, and at a slow "rate" speeds does remind a little of that organ-grinding...

It was not claimed to try to sound like a L*slie simulator, though.

I do think however, that Lensrock will find in the Wiggler, what he seems to looking for.

(Tom: thanks for the flattery, and just for the record: you may add

the Hot Tubes, Worm, Pulsar ("re-issue"), and the Flanger Hoax to

my list... ;) did I mention already that I love the FX bible? ).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, I ended up with and just got a Wiggler. I've only used it a handful of hours so far, but I'm really liking it! The Looz, Hamm and Wurl settings are killer. And the tone is just so nice and warm, probably from the tubes.

Anyone ever experiment with different tubes and the Wiggler? Like maybe instead of 2 12ax7s, use a 12at7, 12au7 or something?

The pedal tonewise sounds exactly like that video clip...which is sweet. Let me know if someone would want me to record a couple short sample clips with it.

• Members

if you really need to experiment with other tube types,

be sure they have the same pin-outs and filament needs,

and do so only with the first tube,

i.e. the one on the input-jack side.

this might give you a little less

pre-wiggle gain

and less easy overdrive.

if you swap the 2nd tube, the results may be discouriging...

plug out the powersupply, before changing tubes.

don`t plug in without tubes!

yours truly designer

(in answer to this thread + PM ;) )

P.S.: I haven`t played with other tubes myself, in this pedal.

• 4 months later...

Archived