Please rate the following

Eddie

• Members

I just recorded these. They are all emulating a British amp.

I did not add eq. or effects, except for the same reverb and limiting to the final "mixdown".

Excuse the playing, but for some strange reason I could not get the signal on the headphones, so I had to play without listening to my playing. :o

Exhibit A

Exhibit D

Exhibit P

This is a very simple comparison. if I were to spend more time with each unit, I could get better sounds. The purpose here was to do this comparison focusing only on the amps, with the "amp's knobs" half way except for volume and gain.

Comments are welcome. I already know which is my favorite, regardless of this post :D

• Members

I jumped through the hoops to download "Exhibit P"

3.85MB for a 16 second clip:confused:

I'm assuming that you are playing over a pre-recorded backing? This track's guitar lead was very thin to me.

The bends were a bit off pitch probably because you couldn't hear them as you were playing. Not bad though for a deaf guy ;)

What gear are you using to get the sound?

• Members

Thanks Jaymeister

Sorry about the hoops, but it's free :D
I think they only make you wait a few seconds for the download.

The files are that size because I saved them as Wav (vs. mp3), and tried to make them compatible for both PC and Mac users.

The track comes from a Total Accuracy book I have. I highly recommend their stuff. I first heard Total Accuracy tracks through Total Guitar magazine. The track is Still got the Blues by Gary Moore.

Sorry about the bends :o while recording I could not hear the guitar through the headphones, and since I was wearing headphones I could not hear the guitar acoustically. Yes, I was deaf! :) I was also using a different guitar than the one I've used for the past week, so string tension and scale are different. I was bending harder than I needed to. I left it like that since the purpose is just to compare the sounds, but thanks for listening. You're 100% correct :)

Oh, I also recorded a second guitar, playing arpeggiated chords. I must have done something dumb, since I lost one track. Instead of recording it again I decided to just use the lead guitar as an example. For the chords part I rolled the volume off halfway, to see how the digital devices responded to the guitar's volume. If people are interested I can do this again, but for now I eliminated this.

I'll post the gear after there are a few more votes. I don't want to bias anyone. I will also post my own opinions.

Thanks for listening :)

• Members
Originally posted by Eddie

Sorry about the hoops, but it's free
:D
I think they only make you wait a few seconds for the download.

You also have to enter some text before proceeding with the download. In my case it was 3 letters.

FWIW the file has been downloaded 3 times.
I'll take a listen.

• Members

The gear:

H&K zenTera (A)
Roland VG-88 v.2 (D)
Bass V-Amp Pro (P)

I chose the last letter of the unit's name as a way to minimize bias. I then put the clips in alphabetical order.
Coincidentally that's also my order of preference for these units when it comes to emulation. I would rate these clips the same way Jaymeister did; A, D, then P.

Some of the things that are not evident from this clips are that the zenTera reacts fairly well to a player's dynamics, and allows the guitar's sound to come through. The guitar I used is my remaining Baker B1.

With all of the units a player can get very usable sounds. Usually to get the best sounds one has to spend more time tweaking. Still, some emulations are more accurate than others. :)

• Members

Well, I have the Bass V-Amp connected to an ART DI/O Preamp System. In order to keep the signal paths as similar as possible I used the ART for all 3. Output level and Gain were set at 0 (zero), and the Voicing was 'Electric Guitar' to keep things as neutral as possible.

B1-->V-Amp or zenTera or VG-88-->ART-->ProTools.

In ProTools I normalized the tracks, and used a Waves reverb and maximizer for the whole track.

With the zenTera I had to use a longer cable, since the amp is further away from the rack gear (e.g., V-Amp, Art, etc.)

:)

Archived