Boss MT-2 DIY Pedal Mod Kits

dan_plus_o

• Members

Hey is this mod kit any good? Its only $20 and I dont want to pay $70 for the kelly mod. although who knows how much those little circuits cost I just want to know if anyone has ever tried this mod out and if it was anygood.

heres the link: The MT-2 Mod is in the middle of the page.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7371872178&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://www.monteallums.com/Product_links.html

MT2_Mod_Pic_eBay.jpg

• Members

Skip it. Go to the diystompboxes.com forum. There's a bunch of FREE mods for the MT-2, just do a search for MT-2... they even tell you what effect each component has. Do a little reading on that forum and you will find the "big name" mods for the MT-2 are pretty much all there.

• Members

I'm not familiar with the mod for the MT-2 but I've done the indyguitarist mods ( www.indyguitarist.com ) to my DS-1 (tube emulator) and to my OS-2 and I'm VERY pleased with the results. I no longer want to throw these pedals away...seriously.

I'm about to do the "fat body" mods to my CS-3.

You should check out Brian's site before making this ebay purchase.

• Members

I have done this exact mod and really like the new rock pedal that was the result. It took my Metal Zone and turned it into a Rock Zone. At first it pissed me off, but after playing it, it sounds great for rock, not metal. It replaced my Keeley Ultra mod DS-1.

Just like the auction says, the pedal has sweet sustain and is pretty quiet. The sound is not compressed and there is no sign of the typical MT-2 nasual sounds. BTW, these make great father and son projects. My six year old had a great time taking apart the pedal and looking at of the components. We did a before and after and he claims he can hear the difference.

I have the modded MT-2 next to a stock MT-2 on my board for now. For comparision, putting each pedal's knobs at 12 o'clock you hear the stock pedal's nasaul buzz and scooped mids. The modded pedal is much smoother and is rich in the mids, like a Marshall sound. My set up is a Gibson V into the clean channel of a SS amp with the stock pick-ups set at 5.

• Members

Originally posted by gtrdave

I'm not familiar with the mod for the MT-2 but I've done the indyguitarist mods (
www.indyguitarist.com
) to my DS-1 (tube emulator) and to my OS-2 and I'm VERY pleased with the results. I no longer want to throw these pedals away...seriously.

I'm about to do the "fat body" mods to my CS-3.

You should check out Brian's site before making this ebay purchase.

Are you talking about the one I was asking about or the one that was posted just before yours? I read somewhere that the DIY mod made the MT-2 sound like a fuzz distortion. I dont want a Fuzz Distortion.

• Members

Originally posted by dan_plus_o

Are you talking about the one I was asking about or the one that was posted just before yours? I read somewhere that the DIY mod made the MT-2 sound like a fuzz distortion. I dont want a Fuzz Distortion.

Buy the mod. I've done 5 of the mods from www.monteallums.com and every one of them has turned an otherwise piece of crap Boss pedal into something that is great quality. Its just like he says. There's nothing wrong with the schematic to a Boss pedal, its just that they just cheapo parts. Upgrading the parts makes the pedal sound much, much better. I am a big fan of monte's site. Plus he's a nice guy.

• Members

Ill have to hear more good things about the DIY before I install it. I heard it make the pedal into a fuzz and I dont want that. What I want is a pretty low tone heavy distortion. I like the low stuff that thunders thru the amp and shakes the building with all the bass. So I guess what I am looking for is... BASS! and of course good highs and mids for when I want a change. Sustain and harmonics is also a big thing I want.

• 1 month later...

Archived