Casio PX400 & Micron vs Alesis Fusion?

skier4467

• Members

Help me decide!

I already have a Casio Privia PX400. It's a great digital piano with nicely weighted keys. The Rhodes and Organs are alright. But I'm really craving some VA synth sounds with some knobs that I can turn. Should I buy a Micron and keep the Privia for my piano sounds.

OR.... Should I sell the Casio and get an Alesis Fusion6HD which has both a decent piano sound and all the synths I'd ever want?

I know that the fusion is less than 88 keys and it isn't weighted (it's semi-weighted).

• Members

If the keybed on the Alesis Fusion 6HD is anything like my Alesis QS6.1, it's an excellent semi-weighted aftertouch controller. Probably the best I have encountered so far. I also have a Casio digital piano with hammer action keys. The difference is still night and day though.

Semi-weighted keys are slightly weighted synth action keys...playing leads is a pleasure because the rebound on the semi-weighted keys adds a little something when playing chords or fast leads

Hammer action keybeds like the Casio digital pianos is excellent for only piano riffs...leads are a bit hard to play on hammer action keys.

I recommend the keybed on the Alesis Fusion 8HD which is fully weighted but not hammer action. The weighted feel is somewhere inbetween the Fusion 6HD and Casio digital piano.

• Members

I have a friend with that same Casio. It does sound real nice for piano sounds, I think.

I'm not sure how good the piano sounds in the Fusion are compared to the Casio. However, the Fusion can do a bit of everything, including VA. That is something to consider.

The Micron is a great, compact VA synth! Programming isn't too hard since there are shortcuts all over the keyboard for getting to the different stages. The keys are definitely synth action, but they do feel nice for that. Oh yes, this is partially a shameless plug *ahem...points to sig*.

I'd say if you can get to a store, try to test out both the Micron and Fusion. See which one you'd prefer. :)

• Members

the fusion 8 has 88 keys, but i don't know how the weighting compares to the casio.

if you want a VA with knobs to turn, maybe you should take a look at the Ion too. and maybe a nord lead 2 or 2X.

both of them have more controls than the micron or fusion.

• Members

Originally posted by skier4467

Help me decide!

But I'm really craving some VA synth sounds with some knobs that I can turn. Should I buy a Micron and keep the Privia for my piano sounds.

The micron has a good synth engine, but it's user interface is less than ideal. If you want a VA synth with the knobs (in that same price range), you may want to look at a Novation X-Station or Xiosynth.

• Members

Originally posted by cosmic.synth

I recommend the keybed on the Alesis Fusion 8HD which is fully weighted but not hammer action.

Its a hammer feel (ie levered independent weight) - if you quickly prod a key, but dont push it right down, then you can feel that the weight isnt in the key, but in what the key is driving through a lever.

• Members

Originally posted by skier4467

Help me decide!

I already have a Casio Privia PX400. It's a great digital piano with nicely weighted keys. The Rhodes and Organs are alright. But I'm really craving some VA synth sounds with some knobs that I can turn. Should I buy a Micron and keep the Privia for my piano sound?

How much are you looking to spend here???

Archived