Best Reverb Pedal?

joesl8

• Members

O.K., I just bought a 5E3 based amp, it's going to be my main amp after I sell my DR Z Maz 18...so I need a good reverb pedal now?! I've never owned an amp without reverb, and I know I need it so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'd like to stay around $100, maybe a little more. A smaller pedal would be nice, but I keep seeing a lot of big pedals, the Holier Grail, etc. I see a lot of bad reviews on quality of the EH pedals, and the Danelectro looks kind of cheap to me, I'd be interested if anyone know someone putting the reverb circuit in these amps as well. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions!

:confused:

• Members

I've just got one of the new Marshall Reflector (RF-1) pedals, and can quite happily say that it sounds really good, it's not noisy, and the best thing was that it was cheap. I like a bargain when it performs well.

Marshall Reflector (RF-1).

• Members

I use a digitech xp-400 reverberator. The sound quality is really quite good and it does emulations of spring, plate, rooms and reverse 'verb... it has an expression pedal that will let you go from full wet to bone dry withought scratchiness or changing your volume or tone. pretty cool. It may be a good one to try, I did the same shopping you did when I bought this pedal and I'm not dissatisfied. If versatility is not an issue and your looking for spring verb perhaps you could get lucky and ebay a Songworks little lanalie spring 'verb pedal, new they are 150 bones....

• Members

Originally posted by comacoda

I use a digitech xp-400 reverberator. The sound quality is really quite good and it does emulations of spring, plate, rooms and reverse 'verb... it has an expression pedal that will let you go from full wet to bone dry withought scratchiness or changing your volume or tone. pretty cool. It may be a good one to try, I did the same shopping you did when I bought this pedal and I'm not dissatisfied. If versatility is not an issue and your looking for spring verb perhaps you could get lucky and ebay a Songworks little lanalie spring 'verb pedal, new they are 150 bones....

Do you remember how much you paid for yours? I found one used at a shop where I live for $75. I thought that seemed a little steep and it's been there forever, so I was thinking about trying to haggle with them on it.

• Members

I've had a '56 Deluxe 5e3 for a few years now, and if you're in love with the tone of your new amp, DO NOT put an EHX Holy-anything in front of it!....or, try it, and see for yourself.....that old tweed circuit just does not like the Grail, IMHO. You'll definitely notice the loss of high end and the tone suckage! Spend the bones on a Vanamps Reverbamate....built specifically for older style tweed amps with multiple inputs....run one cable into the "instrument" input(dry) and one into the "mic" input (wet-all reverb) and use the 2 volume controls on your amp to blend in the perfect amount of wet/dry signal....If you do a search, i think some guy posted a clip of this a few months ago...same deal, 5e3 and Reverbamate....but it was at lower volume levels ie, no tube break up. It sounded a lot like a BF Deluxe Reverb.

• Members
Originally posted by joesl8

O.K., I just bought a 5E3 based amp, it's going to be my main amp after I sell my DR Z Maz 18...so I need a good reverb pedal now?! I've never owned an amp without reverb, and I know I need it so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'd like to stay around $100, maybe a little more. A smaller pedal would be nice, but I keep seeing a lot of big pedals, the Holier Grail, etc. I see a lot of bad reviews on quality of the EH pedals, and the Danelectro looks kind of cheap to me, I'd be interested if anyone know someone putting the reverb circuit in these amps as well. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions!

:confused:

What are ya asking for the Dr. Z ?

• Members

two things:

1. i loved the digiverb until i found out there's a noticeable drop in volume when it is engaged.

2. I own a holier grail. You don't want one. the switch often makes a loud popping sound, clearly audible coming right out of my amp, there's no "trails" option... in fact, there's no options at all. for a pedal with so many knobs, you have eight pre-determined settings, and that's IT. The flerb is absolutely useless. I made the horrible mistake of buying one of these on Ebay without testing it out, (nobody around here had one... now i know why.) I can't even tell you how ripped off i feel. This pedal SUCKS.

I'm looking at trading it in for a boss.

• Members
Originally posted by mrbluetone

I have the Digiverb and Verbzilla...

Verb is the word...Verbzilla.... the extra cost is worth it!

The Verbzilla definately has a lot of good reviews on Harmony. I think I'm going to buy a couple of the pedals, when I can afford them (aka after Xmas) and A/B them. Keep the one I like and take the rest back.

:thu:

• Members

The EH Holy Grail is an exceptional reverb pedal for classic verb tones. However, if that amp circuit has a lot of preamp gain it may not work out well running reverb into the input. If you use the circuit on clean settings mostly it shouldn't be an issue. Or, you could run the reverb after a fuzz pedal into the clean circuit and it will work well, too.

Reverb, if you want it to work well, should be placed after the gain in your signal chain.

• Members

I'd read a lot of reviews on the Holy Grail (check em for yourself), and there were a lot of complaints of bad hum, popping when switched on/off, the thing just DYING, or all of the above. But then, there were some that had no problem. I decided to take the gamble and spent the 100 bucks on one.
"Holy Grail" is an undeserving title. It sounded *OK*, and that's all. Doesn't come anywhere near a Fender spring. And then, after two or so months, as advertised, the thing began to make a horrible low hum....and then it just croaked. I wouldn't buy it or any other EH pedal as long as I live. That's the last 100 bucks they'll get out of me.

• Members

Originally posted by Muzikazoo

I'd read a lot of reviews on the Holy Grail (check em for yourself), and there were a lot of complaints of bad hum, popping when switched on/off, the thing just DYING, or all of the above. But then, there were some that had no problem. I decided to take the gamble and spent the 100 bucks on one.

"Holy Grail" is an undeserving title. It sounded *OK*, and that's all. Doesn't come anywhere near a Fender spring. And then, after two or so months, as advertised, the thing began to make a horrible low hum....and then it just croaked. I wouldn't buy it or any other EH pedal as long as I live. That's the last 100 bucks they'll get out of me.

I agree that they could build them a bit more sturdy. Souds like you gota complete lemon, though. Mine sounded fabulous. I love Fender reverb, too.

• Members

Originally posted by Muzikazoo

that's EXACTLY what happened to mine!!! it worked 2 years for me very well! i loved it... damn.. and now!!

Archived