Rack Attack...Motif ES vs. Kurzweil PC2

shambler

• Members

Hi,

a sort of continuation of this thread

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1344469

I noticed Kurzweil do a rack version of the PC2 and have only heard good things about it.

How does it compare to the Motif ES?

...I'm off to look for some mp3 demos ;)

[EDIT] Don't want to bias anyones thoughts by I am getting blown away by the sound of this rack...I'll try and wait for a reply before ordering :D

• Members

The grand pianos are better on the Kurz, IMO. The Rhodes are probably better on the Motif although if you can get the "classic keys" ROM for the PC this will definitely level the playing field. The PC's K-B3 organs are probably better than the Motif's organs, but this is not saying much.....I don't really care for either, myself. The Motif has a better/wider-array of pads and perhaps a more updated sound set.

• Members

i think the PC2r has a smaller, but just slightly better stock sound set.

the motif gives you a lot more variety tho.

the pc2r is more editable than it first appears, but you have to use a pc editor for it, and it's not available on kurzweil's site.

• Members

Originally posted by Pawnz

The grand pianos are better on the Kurz, IMO. The Rhodes are probably better on the Motif although if you can get the "classic keys" ROM for the PC this will definitely level the playing field. The PC's K-B3 organs are probably better than the Motif's organs, but this is not saying much.....I don't really care for either, myself. The Motif has a better/wider-array of pads and perhaps a more updated sound set.

+1

• Members

Originally posted by shambler

Mainly I would like some highly detailed and realistic solo orchestral instruments such as solo strings/pianos and also some more choral and backing string/brass sounds.

Generally though I find the more sounds I have available to me the more likely I am to get inspired.

Based on this, I'd recommend the Kurzweil.... Kurzweil has some very good and very distinctive sounding orch samples and a lot of them....

:thu:

• Members

I have ordered the PC2 rack :D

What swung it for me was the breathtaking clarity of this orchestral piece...very emotive and a beautiful sound I've not heard from the motif...none of the motif demo's had that 'ooo' factor ;)

Play symphonica from this page http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/downloads.html?Id=1673

Thanks for all your input and the link to the PC editor Prog.

Archived