Hardware delays with an effects loop

Markeyz

• Members

Originally posted by Markeyz

Anything besides the Moogfooger? It'd sure be nice to put a filter in for some real time tweaking of repercussions.

If you don't mind spending some $$$ for the tc 2290, it has 5 effects send/return points plus MIDI. Overkill for some, but great if you're in a studio setting or need 1 main delay unit in your travel rack.

• Members

Ouch - very nice but pricey.

I have a TC D-Two rhythmic delay that I use with a TC M-One XL to add reverb - very nice unit - can pick them up v cheap second hand as well. The fun bit is you can tap out the tap points on the delay, ie you tap a rthythm into it, and it will set up a bunch of delay taps to fit that, with or without quantise and shuffle. Of course if midi-syncable as well (as is the M-One XL for pre-delay).

It has built in filters in the feedback loop for shaping the feedback sound, but obviously its not as shapable either either a fireworx or the 2290 (for eg nice to stick a reveb in the feedback loop for delay diffusion).

Another fun option is a TC fireworx - multi-fx processor, great performance conrtoller integration via midi, and has a external insert loop using whichever of the analog or digital input you are not using for its main audio connections. Its speciality is wierd fx. Basically can add a load of fx to a patch with the internal routing pretty much configured as you like, so you can make wierd feedback loops etc - even through external gear. The downside with it is its reverbs while nice do take up alot of CPU compared to the rest of it, so I often use the M1-XL in its insert loop.

Info on all here http://www.tcelectronic.com.

• Members

It looks like the electrix Mo FX has effects inserts but I can't find much information on how they are implemented. Anybody have experience with this unit? They're pretty cheap on ebay. Is there anything really bad about them? Seems like alot of bang for the buck if they sound halfway decent.

• Members

Since you mention the Moogerfooger, I'll assume that you want an analogue delay, and that stereo processing is not a sine qua non. The Ibanez UE 405 sounds right up your street. All of those old, Maxon-manufactured, Panasonic BBD-based units sound excellent, and the additional effects in these multis, while not as good as their more upmarket, standalone counterparts, impart a pleasing flavour of their own.

• Members

I had a MoFx for quite some time. It was really fun, and hands-on simple. Looks great in the dark too! Sound quality was fine, once I figured out that I needed to switch the phono preamp off. I never tried the MIDI functions, but the knobs send/respond to cc's.

The tap tempo worked great, and you can do things like effect only certain range of frequencies, like have delay or tremelo only on the high end of your sound, which is very cool.

I sold it to fund a Symetrix 606, which is a delay that really kicks ass. I highly recommend that unit!

http://www.infinitesound.com/606.htm

Originally posted by Markeyz

It looks like the electrix Mo FX has effects inserts but I can't find much information on how they are implemented. Anybody have experience with this unit? They're pretty cheap on ebay. Is there anything really bad about them? Seems like alot of bang for the buck if they sound halfway decent.

• Members

Crawling Wind, do you know how the inserts were implemented in the Mo fx? Can you use them modify the delayed signal or are they hardwired elswhere in the signal path? From what I can discern from the internet, it seems like the latter. Still might be a fun unit though.

• Members

Now that I think about it, I didn't use the Insert ever. I believe the signal path is fixed, with the delay being last.

Distortion -> flanger -> tremolo -> delay.

You engage the effects you want, or not. Sorry I couldn't be more help. It's a fun box if you can get it for a good price.

• Members

For simple delays - why not just route the loop fx through a mixer and zero the internal feedback in the delay, have the delay at 100% wet - then you can use whatever delay you like the sound of with whatever fx you like in the feedback chain.

Have your delay and feedback loop chain hanging off a couple of sends, with the returns back to mixer channels.

Archived