Bllack Sabbath Sound?

mcount

• Members

I am a touch new to the effects thing so forgive me for sounding dumb here. I am used to just turning on my Marshall and playing. i am wondering what effects chain I could use to get that classic Sabbath sound. 1st album, Master of reality, etc. Now understand I am using a Marshall AVT50 and not a Laney set up. Maybe someone could help me in this regard.

Thanks

• Members

You need the pink sparkle Daisey Rock guitar through a flanger set on high speed and a Leslie speaker also set on high speed and a Line 6 DL4 set on infinite repeats and you twiddle the speed knob while playing with an e-bow plus, not the regular e-bow. You'll need 10-48 guage Ernie Ball Slinkys (lime) and a strap made out of baboon butt cheek skin.

No really. SG. Marshall. Maybe a dark fuzz or distortion for Iron Man. A light echo and reverb for solos. Use the neck pickup some. Back off the treble EQ and the guitar's tone knob.

:wave: hello analog filth pedal of doom

• Members

The amp that Tony Iommi used for years was 100 watt Laney Super Group amps. Imagine Marshalls with better transformers and more bite. http://www.plexipalace.com/va/misc_amps.html is one for sale, probably a bit high side in price but it has been cleaned up so that is a premium.

From the amp, you need those Goodman speakers, they have a mid honk that is unique.

That takes care of the amp. Wah, Tychobrahe Para-pedal IIRC. Guitars, SGs often modified, and later John Birch guitars that look like SGs.

To reproduce it? Someone makes a pedal called the Paranoid, which is supposed to get that sound in a box, never used one, I have the Laney instead.

• Members

Originally posted by Sir H C

The amp that Tony Iommi used for years was 100 watt Laney Super Group amps. Imagine Marshalls with better transformers and more bite.
is one for sale, probably a bit high side in price but it has been cleaned up so that is a premium.

From the amp, you need those Goodman speakers, they have a mid honk that is unique.

That takes care of the amp. Wah, Tychobrahe Para-pedal IIRC. Guitars, SGs often modified, and later John Birch guitars that look like SGs.

To reproduce it? Someone makes a pedal called the Paranoid, which is supposed to get that sound in a box, never used one, I have the Laney instead.

You can not go wrong with the Laney!

• Members

get a Frantone peachfuzz. i was hitting some sweet sabbath tones this weekend with it, all through my strat as well.

all you need is a bright amp and pickups and set the tone at 9oclock. the peachfuzz will take of the thick fuzziness.

and the guitars volume knob is most interactive with the tone and fuzz of the pedal. ive not played anything, amps included, that clean up like it.

• Members

Originally posted by supascoopa

i say, forget the pedals and buy a tube amp first. that's the most important thing. anything with el34 tubes will do i guess. it will be better than even the best dirt pedal through your avt. then you'll need a wah and the treble booster and that's it.

There that's the tone exactly

Any good tube amp, treble boost, wah will work for most of sabbath's stuff

A lot of it is dynamics and response.. he not using multi-channel heads with tons of gizmos corrupting his tone

I have a dvd of sabbath playing live back in the 70s. The key to Iommi's sound was his interaction with the tubes... he was finding the right places on stage to feedback his amp and you could see him kicking on the treble booster. That's it.. simple really

Archived