Just got a SUNN Model T-recommend some pedals

Gypsyfan

• Members

It is my first foray into an amp that needs distortion pedals in front of it. I was using a Triple Rec...may end up using them together but for now, what do you guys recommend as far as fuzz/od/distortion boxes I could put in front of it? I was looking for a mixture of HUM, siamese dream-era smashing pumpkins(although, not all the time) Jesu, and a band called Torche.

Thanks for the help!

• Members

If it needs distortion pedals I would assume the vintage. From there, does it have the mid switch or not? Those without the mid switch seem to have a bit less gain and bite.

For pedals, a buddy with many T's uses many, his latest find is the Foxx Tone Machine. He just got mine and has a reissue too. That has massive low end, killer octave if you want it, and a lot of fun tones there. I recommend this one.

From there, anything sounds good with a T. I am somewhat bummed I sold mine, but then again I have too many amps.

• Members

Is it a Fender RI?

Nope! It is an original. I am so amazed at the condition. I kind of lucked out. Original owner...the guy is 52 and bought it new back in the day. I have been serching for one for 5 years! Damn, ever since I saw Greg Anderson of Goatsnake play two of them through 4 cabs in a venue that held about 65 people!

Thanks for the input so far. I used it at practice slaving from the Triple Rec and it was killer. Although, I am trying to get away from the Recto tone. I didn't have time to mess around with it much just bu itself. I was thinking of going to Rat/Muff route to start off. Are there any boutique (i.e. better) versions of the Rat? I know there are of the Muff. I was thinking about trying J.Everman's Ulrafuzz for the Muff sounds. He has total quality to his stuff.

indeed, the greatest amp ever made in my opinion. i run a boss os-2 for the cave in tone, a big muff for jesu style stuff, and combined for a high on fire style tone.

crimson on pink-noticed you had virtually the same setup as Steve from Cave In....hmmmm...

Here is a picture of the beauty:

9e7be176.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

yeah, once i score an old bluesbird and my sunn cab. i'm there. haha. anyone know what goatsnake is using for overdrive, man i've been loving them lately again and that {censored} sounds huge. thanks. also, what tubes is everyone one running. i'm thinking bout switching to jj's kt-88's. sickeningly i know that's what steve is using cause i was checking out his amp. one of my fave sunn tones for sure.

• Members

i had a RI T. it was cool-- but not great. i AB'd it to my jcm800 and 900-- wasn't great.

ironically-- there is a chicago instrumental band called 'Russian Circles', and the guitar player rocks a RI, and it is {censored}ing perfect. ill post a thread about them so everyone can bask in their greatness, instead of the 4 of us Sunn fans.

id kill for a original. ill get one at some point.

• Members

I would LOVE to find a Sunn 4X12 also...Whenever I do find one it is always when I don't have the $$$.

I have been wanting to switch to the jj KT-88's also.

How are your filter caps? I had to change out my internal ones about a year and a half ago. I am looking for a replacement cap can that is on top now.

Good to feel some Sunn Love!

• Members

i'm thinking bout switching to jj's kt-88's

That was the nice thing about buying from this guy. He recently re-tubed with JJ KT-88's. So far so good. I'm going to probably put new pre-amp tubes in it soon since he didn't replace those. I'll be playing around with just the Model T tomorrow using the the od-2 and Boss Fuzz I have.

anyone know what goatsnake is using for overdrive, man i've been loving them lately again and that {censored} sounds huge.

Greg used a RAT almost exclusively and I know on Flower of Disease he was using a Way Huge swollen pickle sometimes. I don't know if the RAT was vintage or not. It didn't seem like it when I saw them. Too bad they aren't really doing anything anymore. I love those guys and his tone is as wide as a freeway!

Thanks for all your help so far gents!

• Members

i love Sunn! ever since i played a bass through a Sorado and an Ampeg PR-410HLF cabinet my opinion on tube bass amplification has been cemented. couldn't turn it up loud enough to overdrive with a guitar and a Mesa guitar cabinet though...them 6550s take a lot to break up.

unfortunately Sunns are not very common in Canada...but we do seem to have enough Traynors here to be tripping over them ;)

those are some sweet Model Ts you guys have.

• Members

i love Sunn! ever since i played a bass through a Sorado and an Ampeg PR-410HLF cabinet my opinion on tube bass amplification has been cemented. couldn't turn it up loud enough to overdrive with a guitar and a Mesa guitar cabinet though...them 6550s take a lot to break up.

Thanks brother! I hear Traynor's are nothing to scoff at either. Yeah, SUNNs just have something about them that you can't place your finger on. I think it was the water they were drinking in Oregon when making them...

• Members

Hey guys, great thread... some cool bands mentioned (Cave In, Jesu, Pelican - do the latter two use Sunn also and the aforementioned OD pedals?)

Anyway, I picked up a Sunn 4x12 a little while back and was wondering if you guys could help shed some light on its origins. It's black with a straight front and a metal grille, and on the back it says "Sunn Model 412." It doesn't have any casters and doesn't look like the "tall" Sunn 4x12s I see. I don't know what kind of speakers are in it... anyone know anything about these cabs?

• Members

Originally posted by The Tortoise

Hey guys, great thread... some cool bands mentioned (Cave In, Jesu, Pelican - do the latter two use Sunn also and the aforementioned OD pedals?)

Anyway, I picked up a Sunn 4x12 a little while back and was wondering if you guys could help shed some light on its origins. It's black with a straight front and a metal grille, and on the back it says "Sunn Model 412." It doesn't have any casters and doesn't look like the "tall" Sunn 4x12s I see. I don't know what kind of speakers are in it... anyone know anything about these cabs?

I think those metal grill cabs are 80's era.(I think)

Archived