*** nine inch nails DISTORTION aaron north ***

stereotypy

• Members

i just watched again the video the hand that feeds from nine inch nails. well,.. aaron north plays a hagstrom and fender amp. and you hear that super-gain "i-throw-it-in-ya-face" distortion sound. phphphph ph ph phph ph ph phhh... very uncommon for a single coil played through a fender. so i guess he might have used something inbetween like a pedal.

i don't want to know how i can come "near" that sound. i wanna "nail" it!

i know trent likes zvexs machines and fuzz factories and has a custom built distortion unit...

any suggestions? :o

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by workinclasszero

Hagstrom IIs and IIIs have really ballsy pick-ups.

Just be thankful that you aren't the musical leech that Aaron Icurus is.

Do you guys think Aaron played on that record?? He is by far the least solid guitar player in that band.

I'm under the impression that he's only in the band for his stage presence.

• Members

maybe... but i saw them live this year and the sound was very easily the same.. i think he got the distortion from trent anyway.

i'm really interested and how i could have done that.. i have a fender super210 and a eterna musima with really hot single coils. seems to be nearly the same as on the hagstrom.

• Members

Originally posted by Chris Nuccio

Do you guys think Aaron played on that record?? He is by far the least solid guitar player in that band.

He did a bunch of prancing around and acting pissed when I saw NIN back in October. I think it is his connection to buddyhead records that keeps food on his table.

• Members

what's: too boku??

anyway. do you think a fuzz factory can get me there? i had one but can't remember that i got that tone out of it. it's a very dark distortion/fuzz tone in that song...

dschdsch dsch dsch dsch dsch.. very helpful,... ;)

if you have a record of with teeth at home, do me that little favour and listen to the hand that feeds. i think that's the best known song where you can here it.

it's so gritty but still so smoothly, even when the chords are moving... :idea:

• Members

Originally posted by Chris Nuccio

i don't think anyone but trent plays on the actual record. and, for the record, he and trent are the only guitar players in that band, at least touring right now, and there were quite a few songs that trent didn't even play on. aaron north, tone wise, sounded {censored}ing amazing when i saw him, and his stage presence added a lot to the show. no, he didn't shred his balls off. But he played very well, as did twiggy. and the drummer didn't do one "showy" drum fill the whole night, but played so hard and tight the entire night that he stands in as one of the best live drumming performances ive EVER seen. period.

• Members

yes,.. i've seen that. it's the thing where you get this ugly looking footcontroller with... .... i know he also uses vettaII heads live.

but damn:

zvex ff and machine

ni reaktor4

vetta II

lt big cheese

well... that's quite a few possibilities.

i've tried to look at aarons board at the gig, but the front side has had the exact size so you couldn't look over to the pedals. :mad: and after the gig they immediately threw a big black "towel" over it....

do you think a line6 ubermetal could come close?

better than a zvex ff?

• Members

Originally posted by b0dah

for the record, he and trent are the only guitar players in that band, at least touring right now, and there were quite a few songs that trent didn't even play on.

Wow, that's odd. I saw them at the hollywood bowl like 2 months ago and they had another guitar player, you just didn't see him much on the screens.

• Members

This would be the most affordable option: Danelectro DJ13 French Toast>DOD FX52 Classic Fuzz>Noise Gate

... and because you have a polychorus:

Polychorus (Filter Matrix)>DOD FX69 Grunge

If money is not a problem, here are some mid-priced solutions:

Alesis Bitrman>Octave fuzz of your choice

High gain dirtbox>Alesis Ineko (Grinder effect)>Another dirtbox

Fender Blender Custom>DOD FX69 Grunge

Effector 13 VFMs, Soda Meiser, Soda Might, or Noise Floor

• Members

Aaron was amazing when I saw NIN in Toronto during the summer. He had chops and stage presence. He mainly played Agiles, Fender Jag and Hagstrom {censored}. He was in total control, guitar wise. Trent did backup power chords on a Dean Les Paul copy for the really heavy songs. Great show, was really impressed with Aaron in particular.

• Members

Originally posted by Mr. Poopsicle

Aaron was amazing when I saw NIN in Toronto during the summer. He had chops and stage presence. He mainly played Agiles, Fender Jag and Hagstrom shit. He was in total control, guitar wise. Trent did backup power chords on a Dean Les Paul copy for the really heavy songs. Great show, was really impressed with Aaron in particular.

when i saw him i found him a bit tired, maybe due to the many shows... but the sound was great. i i think that it was really him, playing most of the guitar parts (including e-bow..):D

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

This would be the most affordable option: Danelectro DJ13 French Toast>DOD FX52 Classic Fuzz>Noise Gate

... and because you have a polychorus:

Polychorus (Filter Matrix)>DOD FX69 Grunge

If money is not a problem, here are some mid-priced solutions:

Alesis Bitrman>Octave fuzz of your choice

High gain dirtbox>Alesis Ineko (Grinder effect)>Another dirtbox

Fender Blender Custom>DOD FX69 Grunge

Effector 13 VFMs, Soda Meiser, Soda Might, or Noise Floor

what's so special about the fx69 grunge?? also the ineko.... i'll have a look to see what it is.

• Members

Originally posted by stereotypy

when i saw him i found him a bit tired, maybe due to the many shows... but the sound was great. i i think that it was really him, playing most of the guitar parts (including e-bow..)
:D

Huh, He must have been, cause he was very hyper in Toronto. Climbed to the very top of the rightside mountain of PA speakers (pretty high up) a few times and physically beat the crap out of the Marshall cab throughout the night. Trent crowd surfed once too :eek: . Fucking lunitic. I would bet money that Aaron played on the new record, seems like his playing style. I wasn't at the second show the next night, but a student in my mom's highschool class was and he said they gave a guitar away to somebody in the front. :cool:

Archived