I want to get myself the ultimate 70`s Setup using non-vintage equipment .... HELP

• Members

Hey ...

I'm trying to get the classic 70's guitar tone and effects without breaking open my wallet by buying vintage gear...what effects do you suggest i use.....

right now my main guitars are my handmade Warmoth Strat, My Les Paul and my Clapton Strat

i'm going into a Fender Blues DeVille (4x10) a 1996 not a reissue

my band plays everything from CCR to the Stones and Zeppelin and we even throw a little Ottis Redding in sometimes as well as original stuff that sounds classic.... i'm real big on the Black Crowes also

effect wise, i'm going with Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe -- marshall bluesbreaker 2 (set as a clean boost) --- vox Wah --- Tonebone Hot British --- MXR Phase 90 (reissue) --- Dunlopp Tremolo --- Boss DD-5

what`s missing / needs to be change.... i'm not satisfied and don't know what to add or change..... also, i can't get the classic marshall tone out of the Hot British .... i know everyone loves that pedal but it`s not for me.... please suggest something to get me that 70's distortion tone.....

I'm on a tight budget so don't go and suggest me to get a Marshall... plus i love the tone of the Blues DeVille and it's just the right side to gig with

• Members

you can always get a marshall combo if you're afraid with size.. there's no pedal that'll get you a marshall sound.. some will suggest to get the marshall guvnor or shredmaster but it ain't the same..
you sure have alot of guitars. maybe sell one to finance a marshall?...

• Members

I thought about that selling a guitar....

and i did try the Guv'nor + .... it's ok but doesn't get me there....

might sell the Gretsch or the Brian Moore... i almost never play on those even thought the Brian Moore is one of the best guitar i've touch.... I love that neck through thing.... it just doesn't fullfill my tone needs right now.....

If i go for a Marshall combo, which one in the current line is worth checking out ..... would have to be a 2x12 i guess .... i heard the new line of marshall doesn't get you the JCM tones......

i also consider checking out a Genz-Benz Diablo Ts-60 head with a 2x12 extention cab........

doesn`t have more than 750$ to spend on my rig at this time.....

• Members

You should be dang close already. I'd go with a Big Muff, Deluxe Memory Man, Electric Mistress. Maybe you can get an endorsement deal with Electro Harmonix. Marshall tone is over-rated. When I think Marshalls I think Kiss, Judas Preist, Ratt, Winger, etc. They're good amps but so are the others. Besides, if you play CCR and the Stones you need Fender tube or the equivalent. Led Zep did lots of clean stuff.

I'd get a fuzz of some type, a flanger and an analog echo and you should be set for the 70's.

• Members

thanks i'll definitly look for that... that's why i love the fender... it really get's me that stones/ccr tone that i love and i don't want to carry 2 amps to a gig !

By the way i'll be trying to get endorsment deals soon as my band is to release it's first album sometime in March....

we're shooting our first music video last week of January !

Archived