GT-Pro vs GT-8

slapshot

• Members

This is the same post I put in the Amp section of HC. I am curious to whom is using it for either effects only, or Amp/Effects.

I am considering getting one of these new devices from Boss. The reviews are extremeley positive on both products. I am curious how many of you have made the move to a GT-8 or GT-Pro and if you prefer one over the other? If so did you replace your amp/effectsboard/cabinet set up in favor for one of these?

From my understanding the GT-Pro has a better user interface for recording being that you can use software with the unit. However the GT-8 is better suited for live work being pedal board based. Is the addition money for the Boss GT-Pro worth it? I am curous to your opinons.

:)

• Members

I am mainly interested in using one of these for for recording. I have been using a GT-6 for redcording and it has done a very good job. I do like the new features of the GT-9 especially the idea of using multiple amps. Regarding live use I would probably stay with a traditional amp rig. I also am considering the VOX unit and the Randal MX Pre-amp. The GT-Pro would be great if it was only a $100-150 more then the GT-8.

• Members

For recording, I'd recommend the GT-PRO... easier (for me) to adjust knobs on a desktop than it is to pound footswitches, and the editor/librarian is easier still. The PRO also has more thorough routing options.

Even though I mostly play live, I still use the PRO (though most would probably prefer the GT-8 for its all-in-oneness). I run an EV5 expression pedal out for volume control on the floor and a DP-6 dual footswitch for amp/solo toggling. A more compact and simple setup than going for a full-bore FC-200 solution.

My stage situation is somewhat complex in that I play guitar, keys, and sing. Over the past couple of years I have worked hard to simplify things on stage (and for loadin/out) as much as possible. To that end, my setup is now as follows:

Guitar: Fender Lonestar Strat w/GK (internally installed) ==> GI-20 GK to MIDI interface ==> MIDI out goes to keyboard, guitar out goes to GT-PRO.

Keys: Roland G-70 on an Ultimate V-Stand (a life-changer in itself -- very portable, very sturdy, and no X-braces in the way of my feet).

Vocals: Shure ULX wireless headset condenser mic ==> Alesis 12R rack mixer ==> TC Electronics M300 compressor/reverb.

[side note: wireless vocals were a significant addition... I used to have two seperate boom/mic stand setups for switching between keys and 'front man' guitar. Way less gear to bring, and much easier stage use.]

I top it all off with a Furman power unit and gator cases (a 6-space shallow for ULX wireless receiver/mixer/effects, and a 3-space shallow for GT-PRO and GI-20).

The GT-PRO outputs, keyboard outputs, and mixer outputs all go into a Bose PAS unit with subwoofer.

I can pack the entire thing up and fit it in my RX-8, and everything but the keyboard itself comes in

Richard

• Members

Forgot my butt: I shopped around a lot for a portable seat. I finally found what I consider to be the ideal: a Camp-Time Roll-a-Chair!

http://www.camptime.net/roll-a-chair.htm

It has an actually useful seat back, and folds up into a small bundle that fits inside my V-Stand case. Awesome! Even better than the drum stools I had been lugging around.

Archived