ProCo Vintage Rat vs. Rat2

baron85

• Members

BTW, as a side note, all Floridians reading this - you have Miguel Cabrera, the next Manny Ramirez. But St. Louis has Albert Pujols, the greatest player ever thus far into his career. In terms of sheer baseballedness, the Cardinals have a pretty storied history over there.

And any other answers to my questions?

• Members

Originally posted by telepaul

Oh. And Brown sugar has about as "kuh-lassic" a Keith richards tones as you'll ever hear. I think we can all agree on that. Richards and Taylor both used Twins while recording it. Mix magazine had an article awhile back about the stones taking a trip to Muscle shoals to record a couple of tunes. wild Horses, You got To Move and Brown Sugar. The engineer talked about both playing twins and described how keiths was opened up so much it was rattling the whole building. That tune has about as great a rock n roll tone as I've heard.

i agrre that's some classic "stones tone".......but the article talked about them bringing and using fender twins....not twin reverbs......

now since they didn't say for sure tweed twin or twin reverb one can't really go by that....but i'm guessing brown sugar is a tweed twin and not a twin reverb.....they're pretty different sounding amps....you're not gonna get the tweed sound out of a twin reverb....

those tracks sound like tweed twins to me....but you never can tell for sure from a recording as there's all kinds of stuff that can be done to the tracks.....

but keith is well known as a tweed twin user......and he and mick are supposed to have brought their own amps....i'm pretty sure muscle shoals had a twin reverb on hand...but most likley not a tweed twin.....

just guessing really tho'.....but i'm guessing tweed not bf/sf......

d

ps if your twin reveb doesn't have a pull boost or master volume be happy....they don't do much good to your tone.....

pps are rats true bypass?.....i don't hink the originals were...that would account for the "tone suck" while bypassed.....

• Members

Originally posted by baron85

BTW, as a side note, all Floridians reading this - you have Miguel Cabrera, the next Manny Ramirez. But St. Louis has Albert Pujols, the greatest player ever thus far into his career. In terms of sheer baseballedness, the Cardinals have a pretty storied history over there.

And any other answers to my questions?

And we have dontrelle willis. But man talk about a fire sale. The marlins turned into the KC Royals overnight becuase the owner doesn't have the dough to build a stadium and the city aint buyin. pathetic. Cardinal fans have plenty to rag on when the subject is the marlins and they still have plenty to be cocky about. Until the playoffs anyway.

I hear what your sayin about the tweed twin. i guess I assumed it wasn't a tweed because even though a tweed opened up would be loud I think of "buildings rattling" being the work of the louder amp.

And pay no attention to Ivor and I. We go back aways here; we've swapped pedals several times. Obviously it's a feud the way the Rock and Mankind were a feud.

The super duper is a ZVEX pedal.

www.zvex.com

it's pretty amazing to me but it's also pretty expensive and it won't help the fact you want more bottom. A good amp tech can mess around with values and increase that to a degree....The speakers also can affect that.

But yeah. The duper...It's very very different then the rat. All this stuff with pedals is so objective. I hate to say it but the only way i really figured out what worked for me was to buy and sell and buy and trade away a ton of stuff. What works for me may sound terrible for you etc etc...I heard guys talking about stuff that sounded like it would work great for me. I'd buy it and it would sound like {censored} and end up in the HC classifieds within a week. so take it all with a grain of salt. The keeley mod for the Rat might be a good place to start since it won't break ya and you already like the rat...

• Members

So if it is a true bypass, why is my clean tone altered? That doesn't make any sense. Could it be that the pedal I'm using is defective? Or do they all do that?

And yeah, I can't afford the Zvex pedal, even though it sounds awesome. Perhaps in a couple years. I'm thinking that if I get the Rat (especially the Vintage one, cuz it's cheaper right now than the Rat2), I could add a Tubescreamer soon thereafter and get some added colorations. My budget is limited to $100 or less.

Oh, and yes, I love the Stones (and their tone), but I'm not restricted to that. I particularly want versatility. I play a lot of different types of rock. I like a lot of Southern Rock (Neil Young, Skynyrd, Drive-By Truckers, Allman Bros.), but I also dig Led Zeppelin and I'm particularly enamored by Mick Ronson - I think that's his name - the guitarist for Ziggy-era David Bowie. I'm kind of an amalgam of all those tones (I'm not going to name all my influences, because they're so disparate that it'd just be too long and varied). So you can see that I'm not searching for the apex of Rolling Stones tone, I just want a close promixity to that sound, among others. That's why I like the Rat - it seems to be very versatile - and I've heard that a Tubescreamer can really help with that versatility (but that'll come later).

Right now I just want to know why my clean sound is altered, just when I thought I'd gotten it perfect . . .

• Members

I wondered if that could have been the problem (the cords). I'm using two different kinds, so maybe the one I'm using to go from the Rat to the amp is the one muddying up my tone. That just might be it - it makes sense . . .

Archived