Anyone try power scaling amp mod?

JeffreyCH

• Members

I'm interested in trying one of these mods for my amp. I've got a Reeves Studio Stage MK II head (20/40 watts) switchable and even at 20 watts its a monster. I like cranking it when playing with drums, but it'd be nice to be able to get power tube saturation at lower volumes!!

Anyone try one of these mods?? If so, what are your thoughts vs using an attenuator? I'm also considering the hot plate.

Thanks.

www.londonpower.com

• Members
Originally posted by JeffreyC

I'm interested in trying one of these mods for my amp. I've got a Reeves Studio Stage MK II head (20/40 watts) switchable and even at 20 watts its a monster. I like cranking it when playing with drums, but it'd be nice to be able to get power tube saturation at lower volumes!!

Anyone try one of these mods?? If so, what are your thoughts vs using an attenuator? I'm also considering the hot plate.

Thanks.

www.londonpower.com

Reeves has 2 new models with power scaling built in (Custom 18 and Custom 30). Maybe talk to the guy at Reeves and ask what he thinks. Maybe he'll even do the mod for you.

The Hotplate is quite nice up to a certain point. -16db and beyond isn't that great though. I'm going to pick up an Ultimate Attenuator to use with my Blue Angel and Dr Z Z28 and Route 66.

taco

• Members

Hey Taco - I thought you were looking into those Reeves amps a while back! Did you buy one? I just read up on the Ultimate Attenuator and although it's pricey - it seems like a good option. I'm not sure if I want to make a permanent mod to my amp or not. Anyone out there tried the Ultimate Attenuator??

Archived