Does the type of wood on your guitar body make a big difference?

univox5138

• 5 months later...
  • Members

if you have a dark kind of wood on your guitar body like mahogany you can get blues and funk sounds but not country types of sounds

if you have a lighter kind of wood like ash or alder you can play rock and some blues but if you play blues you have to use a strat

• Members

tonewood is overrated. its effect is marginal compared to pups and amp.
but i like basswood (yes, there, i've said it!) cuz it's good for mids and makes the bass spongey.

wood basically colors your tone.
see, ideally guitars would be made of solid steel. that would be best for sustain. but players like the wood to color the sound a bit--maple for snapiness, alder to take off the trebley sting, etc.

• Members
Originally posted by onbongos

if you have a dark kind of wood on your guitar body like mahogany you can get blues and funk sounds but not country types of sounds

if you have a lighter kind of wood like ash or alder you can play rock and some blues but if you play blues you have to use a strat

:idea:

• Members

Originally posted by onbongos

True, but if you have a tricone you can only play metal.

Or Can songs.

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

tonewood is overrated. its effect is marginal compared to pups and amp.

but i like basswood (yes, there, i've said it!) cuz it's good for mids and makes the bass spongey.

My man speaks the truth. Although I think that some woods have more of an effect than others. But again, it would have more to do with the sustain than coloring your tone.

Hell new set of strings would change the tone of your guitar more than the wood type.

Archived