Pod XT USB died - now what?

ArthurS

• Members

Well, a few days ago I was playing around with my XT when it fell to the floor with the USB cable plugged in. Unfortunately, the cable moved the (circuit mounted) jack so much that it broke off internally. I have tried resoldering it, initially without success. Before attempting more daring repairs, I want to consider the alternatives.

I use the USB-capability for XT pretty much exclusively for playing along with my MP3's and for some (minor) recording. I would prefer not to connect directly to my internal sound card for various reasons (including its awkward location and crappy sound quality).

Based on my initial search I thought the Griffin iMic might do the trick. Anybody have experience with these (sound quality, ease of use, latency?). Would it allow me to play mp3's and mix it with the sound of the XT (connect guitar to XT, XT-out to iMic-in, headphone to iMic out?). Or are there other alternatives that I'm missing? I'm a mere university student, so the cheaper the better.

Any suggestion (including on how to fix the XT itself - can't seem to remove the knobs on the front so I'm unable to access the front side of the circuit board) is very welcome. Thanks!

• Members

Sorry to hear that man. I lost an expensive mic recently on a fall to the floor. I'm guessing the POD probably is not easy to repair yourself. Maybe impossible if the circuit board is cracked. Is it still under warranty? You might be able to get away with a warranty claim.

• Members

I think your options are:

1. Use it the way it is with the 1/4" outs, or:

2. Fix it yourself - if you can't, then:

3. Find someone who can fix it for you - if they can't fix it then:

4. Back to #1 - if you don't want to do that then:

5. Sell it - disclosing the condition, then:

6. Get something to replace it

Pretty simple options to me. Good Luck

• Members

Is the board damaged? If it's just the USB jack and you are good with an iron it is a quick fix. They usually break off without screwing up the board. I have a drawer of these here in the lab and would be glad to send one your way.

• Members

Originally posted by danbomb

Is the board damaged? If it's just the USB jack and you are good with an iron it is a quick fix. They usually break off without screwing up the board. I have a drawer of these here in the lab and would be glad to send one your way.

Thanks for the very helpful response! It seems to me it's just the USB jack, as the board looks fine. It broke off from one side of the board and I re-attached it (with a soldering gun), but still doesn't work. Would some pictures be helpful?

Archived