Analog Vs Digital Delay

jdiesel77

• Members

digital is much more accurate in reproducing the delays. And most have much longer delay times and such. Some think they are colder and "digital" sounding.

analog pedals typically have shorter delay times. and the delays are much warmer sounding. Not as accurate a sound as digital, but warmer and i guess more musical depending on who you ask.

you need both :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by KirkHammett1

digital is much more accurate in reproducing the delays. And most have much longer delay times and such. Some think they are colder and "digital" sounding.

analog pedals typically have shorter delay times. and the delays are much warmer sounding. Not as accurate a sound as digital, but warmer and i guess more musical depending on who you ask.

you need both
:thu:

You need many of both....

:thu:

• Members

analog typically sounds warmer, digital is a bit more harsh but you can usually get longer delay times out of comparably priced units. However, you can get digital units that are voiced to sound analog, like the Visual Sound H2O, or you can modify digital pedals to sound analog.

J

• Members

Digital delays have the ability to do longer delay times of 1000+ milliseconds and generate greater number of repeats (regeneration or feedback) while keeping the repeated signal almost as pristine as the direct signal, hence the "cold, sterile, and crisp" descriptions. The neat thing about digital is that it can easily be manipulated for tap tempo, or dynamic filtering, or rhytmic patterns. Plus it can be made to sound a bit like analog by applying a frequency roll-off.

Analog is typically shorter delay times of under 600-900 milliseconds, and feature a faster degradation of the repeating signal as the regeneration occurs. There is also a bit of high frequency roll-off which adds to the "warmth" that people speak of. The technology used in an analog delay pedal is a special chip or chips, each with it's own character. The declining availability of these chips create the higher price point for analog delay.

• Members

Originally posted by jdiesel77

since i am new to "tone" is delay easily mistaken for reverb sometimes?

Yep, to a certain degree, if the delay is low in the mix, and in a band setting. But as an extreme example, you can't mistake the following for reverb, as it is clearly delay (or echo):

1. Edge from U2's style

2. A country picker's 70ms slapback

3. A lead solo with ducking delay

4. I'm sure there's tons more examples

Archived