Best old school punk distortion?

voneville

• Members

I'm thinking about trying a new pedal. I've been using the Turbo Rat for like 10 years, and want something different. Anyone heard the MXR zak wylde pedal? It claims to sound like a cranked JCM 800. It seems like most distortion pedals are geared towards metal, and most overdrive pedals just don't have the edge I want, too classic rock sounding. I might have to pick up another Boss DS-1.

• Members

Depends on what you consider "old school" punk. Johnny Ramone just used a Marshall for nearly everything he did, and most punk bands today play straight into Marshalls.

As for stomp boxes, I have heard that the original Marshall Guv'nor does have a great Marshall sound, and can be found quite cheap on eBay ($40).

How much are you willing to spend though? At what level do you play (bedroom player, clubs and bars, etc)? It may be worth it just to get one good tube amp and save the hassle of dealing with pedals.

• Members

Originally posted by ChitownTerror

Not to mention Husker Du was all about an MXR Distortion + and a flying V.

ibanez model

thats punk,

od1 sounds oldschool punk, u just gotta get what was available at the time. plenty of SS amps in the 80`s also

• Members

yup. I'm down with japanese copies of almost everything. If the Japanese made an affordable drummer, I'd import him/her/it!
:love:

give Behringer a few more years.

+ on the Dist+. to be different but very much the same, a Ross distortion.

what amp is being used?

• Members

yup. I'm down with japanese copies of almost everything. If the Japanese made an affordable drummer, I'd import him/her/it!
:love:

same here

two jap guitars and 1 korean, all three stand up against anything on the market

tokai goldtop from mid 80`s, strat copy from 70`s and an se prs soap

kickarse guitars and enough cash saved to pay the power bills and get my kids some plastic for chrissy

• Members

Originally posted by L6Sguy

give Behringer a few more years.

+ on the Dist+. to be different but very much the same, a Ross distortion.

what amp is being used?

1982 peavey classic 2x12. It's a cool amp. Cheesey solidstate distortion, but it has tube power. Reverse hybrid? Sounds pretty good with my turbo-rat. Little to harsh and fuzzy for my taste though. I can nail the early 80's punk sounds from the LA bands. But I want that late 70's british sound. I figure I can get a close approximation from a pedal to hold me over until I can afford the amp I want. I'm saving up for a early 80's JCM 800 50 watt. Pricey though.

• Members

if you just want jcm800 flavor in a box, the original black-box Marshall Guv'nor will deliver it (though not feel/response/etc). Carl Martin Rock Drive as well. (i stood about 4 feet from a cranked 800 combo for 10yrs straight, so i got a good feel for the tone).

the Dano Daddy-o is reported to be a Guv'nor clone, if you can find one nearby it may be worth a shot.

however, with your amp and a dist+ (and a humbucker) you're easily within reach of Pistols' territory (Twin Reverb and dist+), and a little bit more.

the ZW is just an SD-1 with a slight bass boost (versus the orig sd-1) and bit more dirt.

• Members

Originally posted by Unstrung

I thought I'd just correct ya on the Wylde overdrive... it doesn't sound like a JCM800. It's an overdrive meant to be used in front of tube amps, particularly the JCM800 since that's what Mr. Wylde uses it with.

The review I read in the last issue of guitar player made the claim, not me. I haven't heard one yet.

• Members

Originally posted by Help!I'maRock!

no such thing.

punk is whatever you're playing through at the time. it is not punk to get new equipment.

well yes, this is a very good point.

go cause some real anarchy in the local music store, and in the ensuing chaos, whatever pedal(s) ends up lodged in your forehead, courtesy of the now-wigging-out store clerk, well that should be your distortion.

• Members

Originally posted by Help!I'maRock!

no such thing.

punk is whatever you're playing through at the time. it is not punk to get new equipment.

That's just silly. Granted stealing your amp from bob marley and the wailers is about as punk as it gets, there are plenty of guitarists in punk bands that are particular about their sound.

I'm not worried about proving how "punk" I am or worrying about losing punk rock points over new gear. I'm not a 14 year old with a good charlotte CD and a hot topic pyramid stud belt. I just want simple advice about a distortion pedal that won't make my guitar sound like it jumped out of a dokken record and grew a mullet.

Archived