Wah Lubrication?

happycannibal

• Members

it's probably actually the potentiometer that's making the noise. pots just give out after years of use. when they start going, the usually get crackly or lose part of their sweep. you can try cleaning the one you have now and if it doesn't work, just replace it. it's just a matter of soldering on a couple of wires.

• Members
Originally posted by happycannibal

It is the pot. The crackle goes through the signal and out the speakers, really annoying.

How do you clean it? Just unscrew it and unsolder it?

Leave it in and use high quality contact cleaner. You'll probably have to replace it soon, new pots are about $20.

• Members

Originally posted by Kelly

Leave it in and use high quality contact cleaner. You'll probably have to replace it soon, new pots are about $20.

aye. use a cleaner if you have it, happycannibal. but even that is an investment if you're only using it once.

replacement is as easy as removing the nut and washer and desoldering, then replacing the nut and washer and soldering. but you can get pots in the $5-10 range. just make sure it's the right value. (ohmage, not economic. :) )

• Members

Originally posted by happycannibal

thanks gents. I think I will just get a new pot instead of buying cleaner.

take a look at the pot. it should have the value printed or stamped into it --usually 100K or so.

of course, you could alwyas experiment with pots of different values to get a whole new sound out of yr pedal!

• Members

Originally posted by Gearhunter

Tuner cleaner's good stuff to have around anyways,so i'd try that first. It also works on the pots in your other effects, guitars, amps, etc. I get mine at Radio Shack for about $12.00.

according to geofex:

"Cleaning the pot should be regarded as a stopgap measure. It will help for a while. Go to a Radio Shack or an electonics supply house and get a spray can of "tuner cleaner" or "electronic contact cleaner". Spray this into the pot while rotating the pot shaft. The scratchiness should be much better. Opinions vary as to whether you should buy tuner cleaner with a lubricant in it and/or lubricate the pot after cleaning it. Geoffrey Teese has advised people to spray inWD-40 after using tuner cleaner on the theory that the cleaner dries out the factory applied lubricant and WD-40 is a reasonable replacement. There are tuner cleaners that say they leave a lubricant on the surfaces.

Some people swear that any lubricant will accelerate the deterioration of the pot. The right thing to do is to consider cleaning as a temporary measure and replace the pot."

source:

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm#problems

Archived