Behringer VD1 Vintage Distortion (Big Muff Clone)

ck3

• Members

In all honesty, I was hesitant to purchase one of these, mainly due to Behringer's piss poor quality control history. However, after I read a good number of positive reviews from reputable sources, I finally caved in and got one. At the current ~$30 price, resistance became increasingly futile with time.

The pedal arrived last weekend via FedEx from AMS. Once I unpacked the VD1, I noticed that it came in the same type of container that most toy manufacturers use for action figures. Though this led to even more preconceived notions about the pedal, I was soon floored by its price-to-performance ratio.

Upon striking my first chord, noodling, and then turning a few knobs, I noticed that the VD1 had an incredibly wide sweep to its tone range, a decent amount of gain and sustain, and a great built-in noise gate. It is nowhere near as jagged and fuzzy as my Barge Concepts BB-1 (Roland BeeBaa clone), but definitely exemplifies the best characteristics of all of the cheaper, Muff-like fuzzes that I have tried (DOD FX52 Classic Fuzz, Ibanez FZ7) ... and even more pricey ones (Bigtone Music Anthology).

The only aspects of the design that I found objectionable were the wanky switch, needlessly oversized chassis, and cheapo battery compartment/storage mechanism. The bypass has demonstrated no evidence of adversely affecting my tone and did not seem to create issues with buffer-sensitive effects. Also, the chassis seems pretty solid for thin metal.

Overall, the VD1 is a steal for its current price IMHUO, even with its less desirable qualities. It could easily be mistaken for a pricey, boutique Muff clone if it were in a fancier enclosure. If nothing else, this pedal is a prime candidate for a rehousing experiment. :thu:

• Members

I have one, and I love it. You have to run the Sustain and Volume controls pretty high (it doesn't have a whole hell of a lot of volume), but it pushes my Marshall in a very pleasing way. Very smooth sounds can be had, and its a great stoner rock fuzz for guitar.

It stomps the {censored} out of the Black Big Muff, IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by rockstrongo

It stomps the shit out of the Black Big Muff, IMO.

I almost invested in one of the newer Sovtek Muffs recently (with the intent of getting it modded). In retrospect, the VD1 was definitely a better choice, especially from a financial perspective. I'm sure that it probably sounds identical to the many modded Muffs out there ... if not better. :p;):D

• Members

You know, after looking at the board I wonder if there is any way to mod it for more gain by fooling around with the diodes. They seem like the only components that could be "workable". Isn't there a Muff mod that can boost the gain by doubling the clipping diodes? :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by rockstrongo

You know, after looking at the board I wonder if there is any way to mod it for more gain by fooling around with the diodes. They seem like the only components that could be "workable". Isn't there a Muff mod that can boost the gain by doubling the clipping diodes?
:confused:

you could also replace the diodes with LEDs=

more output, slighty less drive, but a more crunchy type of drive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just got it!!! Great bang for the buck, no doubt.

It sounded better going to my Pro Jr. than my Nano, though it sounded very good in both.

I was pretty impressed that this $29 pedal had very good tone and little noise, except when I cranked the input. BTW, I never had a Big Muff, so I'm learning how to tweak this beast.

The only objection so far is the battery compartment. I taped the battery to the plastic holder so that it doesn't come loose and move around in the pedal.

I also compared the distortion between the VD1 and my Keeley Ultra DS-1. Hey, guess what, my Keeley has better overall tone quality... :rolleyes: No surprise, but I was just checking to see how different the 'fuzz' on the DS-1 maxed was compared to the VD1. The VD1 fuzz is different enough from the DS-1 that, so far, it merits a place in my gear.

Again, this is my first real fuzz pedal, so I'm just trying some different things. I also pushed the DS-1 at a clean setting into the VD1, and it yielded some pretty cool, but manageable, high-gain results.

BTW, as is the case with just about everything, my Katana boost pedal after the VD1 makes it sound even better.

Anyway, big thumbs up :thu: for my first Behringer clone! I'll keep my eyes open on HCEF for other clones worth pursuing.

-- Joe

• Members
Originally posted by Seth Carmody

How's this compare to the DOD FX52? They're both cost around the same to pick up, but the DOD obviously has the size advantage.

I have both and like both. The Classic Fuzz is more fuzzy and can emulate other fuzzes better. The VD is a little more distortiony and has the Big Muff character all the time - not quite as much of a chameleon. The VD is more scooped but not terribly so. The VD is quieter. Both are great value for the money!

• Members

i have both as well, and agree with sheperdspy on most things, but i haven't ever found the fx52 to be noisy.

also, i think its a weird comparison...the two can sound exactly the same a lot of the time, but the VD has slightly more potential towards distortion.

thirdly, i've found so far that the VD workds a lot better with other OD's (most of the time).

The greatest thing about the VD has to be the ability to EASILY tweak the knobs with your toes! the NYC reissue always bothered me with its "better" knobs

• Members

Not to go too off topic, but has anyone played the vintage phaser? Its a clone of the small stone, i believe. I couldnt find any clips anywhere though. Also, thier site says it has true, hard wire bypass. Is that really true bypass, or a creative wording for something else? Thanks.

Archived