Do the music shops in your city suck?

Redfox777

• Members

...cuz they sure do in College Station, Texas. I have the choice of going to Holze Music and being told that tube amps are a thing of the past and now solid states are all the rage. Or I can go to Lipmann Music were thier best amp is 1 vox ac30 cc with a dent on the top. Dont get me started on guitars :mad: . As far as effects are concered if you dont like boss, digitech, ibanez or line 6 you are {censored} out of luck. Ohh and everything is about 30 dollars more than the going rate on ebay or musicians friend. I have to go to Houston to get to a guitar center which by the way is the weakest guitar center I have ever been in. Does anyone know of any GOOD shops in the Houston area that would actually have a couple used or, dare I say, boutique items?

Ok my rant is done now. :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes I have found that to be true but I keep reading these threads about some guy running into his local store and finding some great deal on a used pedal. Literally the only used pedal I have seen was a dod fx25b envelope filter....they wanted $35 for it firm and it was broken! :mad:

• Members

The GCs here are alright, some of the small shops are ok but its worth mentioning a few things.

1) One shop is run by a former drug mule for the Rolling Stones. Charges above list, has pictures of himself with rockstars all over the shop, most of them he's leaning over as if the artist was in midstep. Does lessons, tries to shortchange the instructors. They used to go the GC I worked at to buy gear because we gave them better deals than their boss. Rumored to be a front for drug trafficing. Honestly wouldn't doubt it.

2) Another is just as bad as him. According to the guy who orginally got Z.Vex into St. Louis, they lied to Vex to carry his goods. The owner wanted Mesa so bad that he sent his kid over to the drug mule's shop with a camera and fake pricetags to screw him out of the dealership. Obviously, the drug mule has video cameras all over his shop and the kid got busted. They eventually got Mesa and told me they could discount Mesa but couldn't touch the price on Orange. Which is a big no no when I just told the guy I used to work at Guitar Center.

• Members
Originally posted by workinclasszero

The GCs here are alright, some of the small shops are ok but its worth mentioning a few things.

1) One shop is run by a former drug mule for the Rolling Stones. Charges above list, has pictures of himself with rockstars all over the shop, most of them he's leaning over as if the artist was in midstep. Does lessons, tries to shortchange the instructors. They used to go the GC I worked at to buy gear because we gave them better deals than their boss. Rumored to be a front for drug trafficing. Honestly wouldn't doubt it.

2) Another is just as bad as him. According to the guy who orginally got Z.Vex into St. Louis, they lied to Vex to carry his goods. The owner wanted Mesa so bad that he sent his kid over to the drug mule's shop with a camera and fake pricetags to screw him out of the dealership. Obviously, the drug mule has video cameras all over his shop and the kid got busted. They eventually got Mesa and told me they could discount Mesa but couldn't touch the price on Orange. Which is a big no no when I just told the guy I used to work at Guitar Center.

you got a music mafia running your town!
:eek:

is the Stones mule the one who wrote the book--Down and Out w/the RS or Up and Down or somehting?

• Members
Originally posted by Redfox777

Do you go to Baylor? I have about 2 semesters until I graduate Texas A&M.

Unfortunately. Have no idea how I managed to stay here for my entire undergrad. Oh well...

Yeah Holze's is purely Line 6 and Digitech. And the only pedal they have here in any pawn shop is a $90 Crybaby that doesn't work :rolleyes:

• Members

in my town, we have the following:

Guitar Source - deals in Fender, Gibson, PRS, Epi, Daisy Rock, G&L, Ibanez guitars.
Vox, Marshall, Mesa, Orange, THD, Fender, Ampeg amps.
Mapex, Sonor, and Ludwig drums

that's my fave shop - and it's got a pretty low ratio of dumbass trendy teen dicks behind the counter.

we also have the Musicians Friend clearance center. good stuff changes daily, it's more like a swap meet.

Guitar Center - this is the one i'm least impressed with. nothing out of the ordinary, nothing remarkable - geared almost exclusively to the suburban midwestern douchebag.

Big Dudes - independent, pro gear, pas, synth department is great, but just not enough great guitar stuff to hold my business. they're good in a pinch though.

Midwestern Music - all used, all interesting in some way, lots of great Fenders Gibby's from days gone past, with some unique amps and PA stuff. good repair shop.

and we have two custom drum shops that kick ass, along with some smaller mom-n-pop operations that have a fair presence in the niche market.

lots of great joints in my town.

• Members

I live within walking distance from 3 guitar stores, two of them flat out kick ass. There's another one that sells great vintage guitars and amps not far down the street, and there's at least 2 GC's and Brook May's shops within a reasonable driving distance. I think Brook Mays sucks and so does GC, but the smaller shops around me are great. The one thats closest to me is 10X cooler than Charley's in Dallas, and the guys that work there actually talked to me instead of ignore me.

Archived