SEMI-OT: PCMCIA to Firewire card for Audio?

hyperstationjr

• Members

I have an older Sony Viao 15" w/ 2.79gHz Pentium4, 500mb Ram, a partitioned 30gig HD and 3 USB ports, running Windows XP Pro.

At home I have my Mac with MOTU's 828mk2 and MicroLite. I figured if I bought a new laptop with Firewire, I'd have an awesome time performing, but I just read that they actually have PCMCIA to Firewire cards...

Now I know I'd probably stand to upgrade the ram, but aside from that, would this work properly? Will I be getting any weird bugs? Will the audio be ok, any funny artifacts or dropouts? Anyone try this before??

I figure to just have some MIDI going out through the PC, along with some backing files, all live. At home, I figure to just do some simple audio cutups and stuff like that...

Is this all feasible, or would I just be wasting my money on this ??

• Members

For $14 I think it is worth a try.

I don't see how a PCMIA card with a FireWire port would be conceptually different than a PCI card with FireWire/USB 2.0 ports (to add Firewire and USB 2.0 ports to my Dell desktop, I installed a Belkin PCI FW/USB2.0 Combo card).

There might be some driver software you must install, but I would think it SHOULD work.

Adaptec sells PCMIA USB2.0 Firewire cards also. They are a major brand, so if they sell it, that type of card should work:

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/firewire/

AUA1411_productshot.jpg

Archived