Amp switcher with effects loop

erick4x4

• Members

So I would like to use two amps, my Fender and Marshall, and use them both for distortion.

So I want an ab box . . . but I want to be able to connect all my fx in the loop of each amp.

Is there an amp switcher that can do this? Switch between amps and switch the path of the fx loop too?

Maybe I'll just build a simple one, but I thought if there was a quality one I would just buy it.

Thanks.

• Members

The best way (albeit most expensive too) would be to use dummy loads with line outputs for the amps (effectively turning them into preamps), and then use some sort of switching system to select which amp to send through the fx, have the signal sent to a (ideally stereo) power amp which then feeds the speakers. That's how the pros do it, but then they tend to have the $$ for systems like that...

Otherwise, sharing fx between two amps' fx loops can be a real PITA. Ideally, both amps will need to be kept separate from their respective input jacks out to their separate speakers, and it's not at all easy to patch them together in the middle. Technically, it could probably be done with a few strategically placed A/B selectors, but there's no guarantee that the fx settings/levels that work with one of the amps will work with the other without any adjustments. Plus, you'd never be able to run both amps at once, which is the coolest sound of all... :(

Why not exploit the fact that you have two amps with different characters, and make sure you can run them simultaneously? The pedals you want to use in both amps simply goes in front of the split (A/B/Y box), and any stuff you want to be specific for each amp is hooked up after the split (either in front of that particular amp or in its fx loop). That way, you can have different delay times for each amp, run one dry and one wet, or have chorus in one and the other dry. The possibilities are endless... :D

/Andreas

• Members

I have a friend who runs two Fender Twins in stereo. I will see if I can explain his set up.

First, he runs the fx loop sends from each amp to a midi switching unit. He is also somehow able to select different channels from each amp via the switching unit so he basically has four channels two from each twin.

Second, he routes the preamp signal through a TC Electronics G Force rack effects unit and then the left/right signals back to the effects return on each Twin.

Archived