experiences in cheapo pedal rig(long thread)

harmonix

• Members

hi!
i just wanted to share my experiences as i know a lot of us are always looking for cheap alternatives to the 'real' stuff-

first of all: i'm a gigging musician so i need something reliable-
means: no dan-o or behringer plastic boxes here.
(though i must confess that some of them sound pretty good
they would never stand more than 20 gigs a year)

so here's my recommendations for pedals under 80 Euros.
(over here- but surely as cheap everywhere)

Tuner: Fender PT-100. Cheap, and good.

WAH: i recommend to look for a used dunlop Jimi Hendrix-
i found out that you get it mostly a lot cheaper than
the Cry Baby or the Vox. it's reliable and solid and sounds
great IMHO.

OD: 1. Yes, another Bad Monkey lover here! i have quite a lot experience with TS types of pedals and that little ugly green thing
works perfectly. used as a clean boost it doesn't affect your sound too much- just a very slight scoop of mids.
bypass is ok.
2. when you use your ts with more gain the TS7tonelok is also a good alternative. it sounds about as good as the ts9 reissue
and is very versatile by having a 'turbo'-switch.

DIST: 1. once you have realized that you can't get a Nu-Metal sound out of it the Boss MD-2 is a good choice IMHO.
2. the Rocktron Zombie wants to give you a 'Recto-Sound'- well it doesn't, but it sounds good!
3. a real bargain are the 'EXAR' pedals! handmade in poland, lifetime-warranty and pretty good sounds!
4. Zoom Hyper-lead and Trimetal. discontinued but often on ebay.
5. the good old rat
6. of course the boss ds-1 (boss' cheapest pedal)

EQ: 1. DOD FX 40b. as good as the GE-7 but half the price and less noisy.
2. allright. the dan-o fish&chips IS a good pedal.

Delay:1. i found the ToneLok DE-7 Delay/Echo to be VERY good sounding.
2. Digitech's Digidelay. sounds flatter than the DE-7 but has a Tap-Tempo function.

so here we have a pretty well working professional sounding effects set for under 300 EUR.
as i think these are the basic effects that most of us use
i won't say anything about modulation effects.
i bet there's a lot stuff to add, but these are the ones i tried myself...

• Members

I concur with the DOD FX40B, the Arion one is good too, but it's still plastic. It is a lot more bomb proof than Behringer or Dano, and it would trust it more than the switch on the DOD....

Did you mean Rocktron Zombie? I remember an old review of it in a Guitar mag and they weren't too favourable.

The Exar sounds interesting, I'ev just looked up the DS-1 on discofreq's site. What sort of sound is it? BOSS DS-1?

• Members

of course 'rocktron'! sorry ... just changed it.
i found the zombie a pretty interesting pedal-
it has a knob to blend between different dist clipping waveforms-
makes a noticable difference and pretty useful IMHO.

EXAR: i tried one that was simply called 'distortion' - sounded pretty much like an already modded ds-1-
and one called 'moon metal' and besides the silly name it sounded
more modern and agressive and had a 3 band eq.

• Members

Originally posted by TheDarxide

Have you seen those new cheap effects that are splattered across ebay? I can't remember what they're called, but they're metal, quite big, and dirt, dirt cheap. Very interested in trying some of those out.

hm? no, idea. tell me, if you find out how they're called...

• Members

i keep seeing "Daphon" brand pedals on ebay, looks like they have plastic versions and metal versions, anyone try these?

here is some examples...

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAPHON-E10AD-ANALOG-DELAY-ECHO_W0QQitemZ7394765492QQcategoryZ41415QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAPHON-E20DL-ANALOG-DELAY-ECHO_W0QQitemZ7394766697QQcategoryZ41415QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

Originally posted by Strapping_Young_Lad

i keep seeing "Daphon" brand pedals on ebay, looks like they have plastic versions and metal versions, anyone try these?

here is some examples...

...looks like the soundtank's ugly albino child...

• Members
Originally posted by Strapping_Young_Lad

here is some examples...

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAPHON-E10AD-ANALOG-DELAY-ECHO_W0QQitemZ7394765492QQcategoryZ41415QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAPHON-E20DL-ANALOG-DELAY-ECHO_W0QQitemZ7394766697QQcategoryZ41415QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They're the bunnies!!! It's the metal ones I've seen, really tempted to pick up the distortion and the delay just for a fiddle. Look like good cases to reuse as well. If the switch is good I've got a DOD that I might try shoving in one... although I dunno how wide they are....

On the soundtank ones:
"series of effects in the same housing as the Ibanez Soundtank series, which were probably also made by Daphon"

Edit - and for anyone else who can't get on ebay at work:

daphon_e20dl_001.jpgdaphon_e10ad_001.jpg

Archived