Played EJ Strat, John Mayer Strat, 2 Custom Shops and more!

fuzzbox

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by etvetv2001

Isn't "Jap" just an abbreviation of "Japanese?" What's wrong that THAT?
:rolleyes:

Just for clarification, I didn't mean to use the word 'Jap' in any derogatory way or form - just as an abbreviation. I'm only racist against ninjas of hatred and loathing.

• Members

I LOVE the Japanese folks I've met in my life. They are so courteous, respectful, cheery and HUMBLE..........except for this Ninja guy on here. I have no idea how he slipped thru the cracks. Maybe this forum has corrupted his good manners.

Ninja_of_love? You throw the word "racist" around rather loosely.

Ninja_of_Love? Love? Love? :rolleyes:

• Members

I LOVE the Japanese folks I've met in my life. They are so courteous, respectful, cheery and HUMBLE..........except for this Ninja guy on here. I have no idea how he slipped thru the cracks. Maybe this forum has corrupted his good manners.

NINJA! YOU THROW THE WORD "RACIST" AROUND MIGHTY LOOSELY AND I'M OFFENDED! I've seen too many world war II documentaries about the Nazis exterminating the Jews, to take that word as lightly as you do. You can take you little red face and stick it where the sun don't shine, and get the chip off your shoulder.

Ninja_of_Love? Love? Love?
:rolleyes:

www.exlax.com

• Members

I read the word "quack" here a lot regarding good sounding Strats. What exactly do you mean by it?

Also, what do you mean by a Strat sounding "stiff" or "lifeless?" I'm not trying to make fun or be funny. We throw a lot of these terms around on here and I'd like some personal definitoins on them to enhance my knowledge.

Too me "quack" is the classic sound at the in between pick ups positions. Eric Clapton is a good example of that in his clean and slight break up tones and Eric Johnson clean tones I guess. Perhaps Robert Cray has the best quack out there, just so sweet

Stiff & lifeless is pretty much what it is, not sure how to explain that in other words. It's like plugging straight into a nice clean amp, then putting a buncha tone hogging pedals in the chain that rob the signal of all it's chime.

Hope that helps, but tone is very subjective so naturally the words to describe it will be as well but these two are pretty common for my particular experience. On the other hand, Van Halens "brown" sound is nothing brown to my ears. It's more "silver" I think:D

• Members
Originally posted by jeverist

Just a nit, but that pic you have is a 72 Deluxe, not a Custom. The Deluxe has two hums and a strat style headstock, while the Custom has just a neck humbucker, with a Tele style headstock, bridge, and bridge pickup.

So, which one was it? I picked up a Custom one day, just demoing fuzz boxes, and ended up taking the guitar home.
:D

Yes, the pic is a deluxe and it's what i played...i never said it was a custom:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by mrbluetone

I have played a bunch of CS's latley and found only one that really had everything I wanted, it was the Stratocaster Pro Closet Classic a brand new CS for 06 and the most inexpensive CS out there..played wonderfully and sounded grand!

there are not a lot of CS strats kicking around india, but before moving here i played over 60 of them through the late 90s and up to early 2003 (including owning one myself).

basically, aside from the masterbuilts, I think they are a poor investment and not worth the premium over a well setup deluxe and certainly poor in comparision to something from suhr/anderson/callaham etc.

• Members

Perhaps Robert Cray has the best quack out there, just so sweet

Robert Cray has some great songs and is a good player, but what bothers me is that he just has NO sustain at all. It's great for rhytym, but IMO he needs to turn up a bit or use a mild boost for leads. He has the least sustain of all the black blues players I have ever heard. My favorite was Freddie King. I saw him and his band back in the 70's warming up for Savoy Brown,. I was on the front row and the emotion and intensity of his playing and singing literally brought tears to my eyes. He had a white British slide guitar player who was the best I've ever seen or heard, and that includes Duane Allman. i wish i could remember who it was!

Ed

• Members

Robert Cray has some great songs and is a good player, but what bothers me is that he just has NO sustain at all. It's great for rhytym, but IMO he needs to turn up a bit or use a mild boost for leads. He has the least sustain of all the black blues players I have ever heard. My favorite was Freddie King. I saw him and his band back in the 70's warming up for Savoy Brown,. I was on the front row and the emotion and intensity of his playing and singing literally brought tears to my eyes. He had a white British slide guitar player who was the best I've ever seen or heard, and that includes Duane Allman. i wish i could remember who it was!

Ed

that has always been bothering me...he needs to TUUURN UP!!! He's such a brilliand player but should add a few bosters to his board:D

• Members

At $600.00 the Jimmie Vaughan Strat is the best bang for the buck.....OR the new upgraded Standard MIM Strat at $399.99 Why pay twice as much. The Beck can't be THAT much better.

I guess it's all in the eye (or earhands) of the beholder. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't be caught dead with a MIM strat. But, if you like noisy PUs, crappy action on a crappy neck, retuning your guitar all the time, then please, be my guest.

My suggestion is to play a JB strat and A/B it against ANY other strat out there, and then you be the judge.

And yes, it is THAT much ($1000.) better!

:thu:

• Members

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't be caught dead with a MIM strat. But, if you like noisy PUs, crappy action on a crappy neck, retuning your guitar all the time, then please, be my guest.

That's such a partial, unreasonable statement, it's not worth responding to.

• Members

I'd recomend checking out a Nash Guitars strat clone.

http://www.nashguitars.com/

There also are usually some on the bay. I haven't played one of the strats, but I have what amounts to a 12 string jazzmaster from him (without the fancy switches on the pickups) and love the instrument. Probably the finest playing instrument I own, and certainly the best playing electric 12 of the 5 I've owned and more than that I've tried. My Reverend Rocco is my other favorite playing guitar - at least as far as the neck goes. But it isn't a strat like you want.

The price of the Nash Guitars should definately be in your range and it has the vintage mojo that seems to appeal to you (both inferences based on what else you've looked at).

Ian

• Members

Originally posted by ianshaw

I'd recomend checking out a Nash Guitars strat clone.

There also are usually some on the bay. I haven't played one of the strats, but I have what amounts to a 12 string jazzmaster from him (without the fancy switches on the pickups) and love the instrument. Probably the finest playing instrument I own, and certainly the best playing electric 12 of the 5 I've owned and more than that I've tried. My Reverend Rocco is my other favorite playing guitar - at least as far as the neck goes. But it isn't a strat like you want.

The price of the Nash Guitars should definately be in your range and it has the vintage mojo that seems to appeal to you (both inferences based on what else you've looked at).

Ian

Thanks for the link, I'll chech em out. But no matter what rep a guitar may have I would never buy it online never having held it first. I can't even imagine how dissapointed I would have been ordering that $2500 CS Strat thinking it would be magical! Maybe a $500 used thing but not for that kind tho.

• Members

If you order online from Music123 or Musician's Friend, they have a 45 day unconditional return policy, so there's no risk. It's a good idea when you open the box to be careful with all the packing material, put it directly back in the box, takes notes on how the guitar is wrapped inside the box, and don't touch the accessories bag, etc. until you are sure you are going to keep it. That will make a return as easy as possible for you. If the guitar is not defective, you will have to pay the return shipping, but I've never had it run over $35.00 and it's usually around $25, depending on the weight and distance it has to travel.

I wouldn't want a Strat copy. I want the real thing. if you want a Fender strat, get one, so you won't have regrets later.

My advice? Buy a brand new upgraded Fender Standard Stratocaster (Made in mexico) for $400, and be done with it. It's the best value I've ever seen in a high quality guitar. I've got one.

Go to one of the above mentioned online sites, enter "Fender Standard Stratocaster" in the search box, and read the customre reviews.

• Members
Originally posted by Andersonology

I guess it's all in the eye (or earhands) of the beholder. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't be caught dead with a MIM strat. But, if you like noisy PUs, crappy action on a crappy neck, retuning your guitar all the time, then please, be my guest.

My suggestion is to play a JB strat and A/B it against ANY other strat out there, and then you be the judge.

And yes, it is THAT much ($1000.) better!

:thu:

Fender mexican strat - assembled by mexicans in mexico

Fender USA strat - assembled by mexicans in California

huge difference

• Members

Well it's all down to opinions and this is mine.....
After owning a custom shop strat (NOS 56) for a number of years, I could never go back to playing mexican and us strats. I personally feel that there is a huge difference in tone and feel, especially with the mexican ones. I'm not saying they are bad guitars because for the money they are obviously very good. But if you can afford it and are willing to pay the extra money then I would go custom shop all the time.
May I also say that I have a Clapton strat. I will admit to buying it in the first place because I'm a huge fan of his. But it really is a very versatile guitar for a lot of music, especially if you play in a covers band.

• Members

Be easy on him Strat......just another victim of advertising hype. Let him down easy.

Have you ever played a JB Strat? BE honest now....

Also....f-tard, a friend of mine bought a JB Strat, I played and loved it, and bought one myself. No "advertising hype" was involved in my decision to purchase the guitar.

• Members

originally posted by Sir_Les

I personally feel that there is a huge difference in tone and feel, especially with the mexican ones.

I am 54 years old and have been playing Stratocasters for 38 years.

There is not a HUGE amount of difference in the tone and feel of ANY decently made Strat..........ANYWHERE!!!

I'm so tired of this popular, accepted,unreasonable, brainwashed guitarists' bull{censored} mental attitude which results from trying to rationalize the indulgent obsessive/compulsive desire to waste money on expensive ego-satisfying guitar models, and make this irrational search for the "holy graill" of guitars, or tones, or what-not* seem like it's the "necessary and noble thing to do!"

Check with your family. It makes you hard as hell to live with.

*this word used by courtesy of Billy Bob Thornton

Just my opinion.

• Members

originally posted by Sir_Les

I am 54 years old and have been playing Stratocasters for 38 years.

There is not a HUGE amount of difference in the tone and feel of ANY decently made Strat..........ANYWHERE!!!

I'm so tired of this popular, accepted,unreasonable, brainwashed guitarists' bull{censored} mental attitude which results from trying to rationalize the indulgent obsessive/compulsive desire to waste money on expensive ego-satisfying guitar models, and make this irrational search for the "holy graill" of guitars, or tones, or what-not* seem like it's the "necessary and noble thing to do!"

Check with your family. It makes you hard as hell to live with.

*this word used by courtesy of Billy Bob Thornton

Just my opinion.

Please see my previous post. I disagree wholeheartedly.

Once again, have you ever played a JB Strat?

Oh...I'm 43 and have been playing Strats for 30 years, so please spare me from playing your "age card".

• Members

Strats #to me# require such a personal setup I can't imagine finding the perfect one with a standard instore setup.

The way I like the bridge setup and the pickups tweaked can take me weeks to get just right. And they can turn a hoohum guitar into a special one.

If you can't tell the difference between how a mim and a cs strat feel and sound I believe you. It's all good.

But.

I and other's can feel and hear the difference. Some of us feel and hear those differences and pick the mim models. Some pick the cs models. No big deal.

If someone tells me they can't taste the difference between a bottle of Boones Farm and a nice Italian Table wine I have to believe them of course. It just means I won't be letting them pick the wine I have to drink.

d

Archived