How do you use your stompbox EQ?

• Members

One of the first pedals I had was that gigantic EHX 10-band graphic EQ. I ran it after my Metalzone to try to coax some decent sounds out of it to no avail, and so I eventually sold both of the EQ and the MT-2. Since then I've considered getting an EQ a few times, but due to the less-than-impressive first impression I had of graphic EQing years and years ago I've never been compelled to direct money from higher priority GAS towards one.

Then last night I borrowed a friend's Boss Bass EQ and brought it home to fiddle with. After a few hours I realized how much I preffered my rhythm sound when I cut out all the mids, and in fact now playing without the EQ makes my guitar sound really muddy and cluttered. I have a semi-hollow Gretsch Electromatic w/ filtertron knock-offs and with the GEB-7 I get this really nice soft percussive stumming sound. Obviously running any kind of dirt into that sounds like arse and so I guess next I'll see what settings make my dirts sound better.

Anyway, I see EQs on the boards on pedalboard pic threads all the time and since I never had that much of an interest in EQs I've never payed any attention to your settings. Now that it's occurred to me how flexible a nice EQ can be I'm curious about the various applications you guys have found for them. I know a lot of people use them as solo boosts, and I know a lot of people use them to bump the mids to give more oomph to distortions and overdrives. I've also heard that for some people's rigs Fuzz Factory's don't cut it without some EQ behind them (though I don't recall what for).

Thanks.

PS - Yes, I used to own a Metalzone. :eek::D

• Members
Originally posted by TheDarxide

I use my with an Uber Metal. I set up a good base distortion on the Uber, and then set a 7 band hard V shape to give it BALL CRUSHINGLY BREWTAL POWER
:mad:

Seriously.
:)

I can't get anything good out of that V. My dirt pedals don't agree with it, and I think that the combination of my pickups being real barky and my amp being so mellow sort of cancel it out. Actually, I can really only get clean sounds out of it that I like.

Archived