Was I ripped off with this amp repair?

• Members

Originally posted by psalt_phallow

It just cost me $108.00 to replace the standby and power switch as well as clean some mysterious black gunk (that came from no where?) in my twin reverb, they didn't even check anything else at all... was I ripped off or is this a normal charge for amp repair?

What were you quoted for the labor rate?

• Members

Considering the cheapest price I got around here (Here being the key word) to switch out a pot on a GUITAR was nearly 60 bucks, I have to say 100 for an amp repair won't kill you.

Yeah... 30 dollars to replace the electronics (a pot, and some wires?) and then an additional 30 for labor.

I'm not even going to go into what some OTHER places wanted... I mean hell, it was just a broken pot. :freak:

Looking back on it, I should have fixed it myself. ;) Live and learn, I guess.

• Members

It's an original, the switches were not mounted to the pcb, it also happens to be the only repair place in the city where both music stores in the area send off all their amp repairs to.

no labor rate was quoted at all, they simply said call back in a week and that was about it.

I was also thinking that the black goo must have been from a blown cap but they never mentioned fixing one and the last time I opened it up myself I saw no such things. They also didn't mention anything about it not being biased for the tubes i stuck into it before I brought it in. I had been trying out running it with only 2 power tubes and one speaker to see how that went but rehooked the speaker up and put the tubes back in for when I was taking it in. It seems all they did at all was replace the switches without really checking it out at all to me. Any thoughts?

• Members

Originally posted by Sir H C

Caps usually spooge white goo not black. Black goo could be someone trying to quiet the amp down (microphonics) in the past, or something similar. Weird.

Still price was high but not insane.

That's good information to know, thanks! White goo well none of that was in there which is very good.

As it turns out the amp ran more quietly since the repairs durring this weekends gigs which is a great thing since it was very bad once the switches broke. Who would have thought such a small part of a system could cause so much hummmmm

• Members
Originally posted by Sir H C

Caps usually spooge white goo not black. Black goo could be someone trying to quiet the amp down (microphonics) in the past, or something similar. Weird.

Still price was high but not insane.

Ah...OK, my bro has a Peavey Classic 20 that has some brownish spooge on the inside of the chassis....it stopped working recently, I think his power cap(s) are gone, but I haven't actually seen this yet..."chassis undercoating" to kill microphonics... ;) ....interesting... :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by dbx

Ah...OK, my bro has a Peavey Classic 20 that has some brownish spooge on the inside of the chassis....it stopped working recently, I think his power cap(s) are gone, but I haven't actually seen this yet..."chassis undercoating" to kill microphonics...
;)
....interesting...
:thu:

I guess I should say that of all the power caps that I have seen go (dozens) all have had white goo. Could go brownish if it burns a bit, but the core is white. And you see where it comes out of the cap, there is a vent port on the rubber part with the terminals. If that is bulged or popped that is a dead cap.

Archived