mm4 question

shaun79

• Members

my current setup only has one modulation effect, a boss ph2 phaser. i also was planning to buy a tremolo. recently ive been considering the line6 mm4 because i could sell my ph2 and i could use the tremolo on the mm4 plus i would get tons of other effects to play with. would i lose anything by using the mm4 instead of boss ph2 and probably a tr2 for tremolo? i hear nothing but complaints about boss phasers and trems and i would love to spend $200 and have those sounds plus chorus, ring mod and leslie.

• Members

A few people around here have MM4's...they are pretty great actually, but nobody will debate that dedicated units will do their dedicated task better. I was able to get some really good sounds out of it. If you can afford the footprint, and are looking for a big bang/buck factor, it's a winner.

• Members

I had an MM4 and it is a great pedal.
+1 on the 'dedicated effect' point made above.

If you want a bunch of stuff to play with, you can't go wrong with it. However... you cannot mix more than 1 effect...say.... phaser and tremolo....or chorus and tremolo. One or the other - not both.

I suggest keeping your phaser...and adding the mm4 to it....or...sell your phaser, and buy the tr-2 and the mm4.

I had my mm4 for 3 years and I finally decided I didn't use all of its bells and whistles enough...so I sold it and bought a supatrem since the tremolo was the only thing I really used in it.

• Members

ditto. I sold it and got a semaphore and a . I'm only a week into my MM4 detox, and I'm still finding myself thinking "if I only had my MM4..." Sounds like even though we both sold it, it wasn't because we were unhappy with it.

• Members

yeah well the only reason im considering an mm4 is because 1. i will get a whole lot of other effect sounds that i wouldnt have bought individula pedals for and 2. its probably cheaper than buying a great tremolo unit and phaser. people have told me that im not losing anything by going with a line6 modulater over there boss counterparts, also im trying to keep my board small.

• Members

I had and sold an MM4. It had some decent sounds. As with all multi-effects units, I just don't like using presets as you lose real time control over the knobs. Tremolo and phaser on the MM4 were decent. The biggest let down was the univibe. No idea what they were thinking there but all it does it ad some kind of weird clunking noise.

• Members
Originally posted by GCDEF

I had and sold an MM4. It had some decent sounds. As with all multi-effects units, I just don't like using presets as you lose real time control over the knobs. Tremolo and phaser on the MM4 were decent. The biggest let down was the univibe. No idea what they were thinking there but all it does it ad some kind of weird clunking noise.

You have real-time control over knobs with the line 6 stuff... :confused:

The main disappointments I heard on the mm4 were the univibe and ce-1. The ce-1 isn't even in the same ballpark. Everything else is pretty kick-ass though. Great unit.

• Members

I still own mine. I'm very satisfied with it. But I didn't go into it to exactly duplicate sounds, because like everyone's saying, it's definitely not spot-on. But if you want some flavor of phaser, trem, chorus, etc, then it's a great unit. I bought it to replace my phaser, trem, and chorus, and I ended up discovering leslie, too. You might find new stuff there...

But it does suck that you can't have multiple modulation effects cascading into each other...

• Members

There's no control over the volume on effects, so some are too loud, others are too quiet compared to the bypassed signal. Also one of my footswitches keeps breaking and I have to keep opening it up to realign. So now I use a Zoom G2 instead. Not as good, but more reliable at the moment.

One thing I will say is that it's a great thing to use in stereo, in a studio situation. Also you're bound to find 4 really good presets if you play with it long enough. Also the expression pedal option is very useful.

• Members
Originally posted by Lanefair

There's no control over the volume on effects, so some are too loud, others are too quiet compared to the bypassed signal.

That's very true. It's the only thing I find annoying about the MM4.

(the no multiple effects thing doesn't make it to the "annoying" category :))

• Members
Originally posted by spoonie g

You have real-time control over knobs with the line 6 stuff...
:confused:

The main disappointments I heard on the mm4 were the univibe and ce-1. The ce-1 isn't even in the same ballpark. Everything else is pretty kick-ass though. Great unit.

Not really. As soon as you turn on another preset, you lose all your previous settings unless you save them and override your previous preset. Four presets isn't really enough to be practical considering all the pedals it emulates and the variation in sounds that all produce.

• Members
Originally posted by GCDEF

Not really. As soon as you turn on another preset, you lose all your previous settings unless you save them and override your previous preset. Four presets isn't really enough to be practical considering all the pedals it emulates and the variation in sounds that all produce.

How is that different than any other piece of gear? If you didn't lose the current setting whenever you turned on a preset, everybody would be pissed that their presets weren't all that pre-set. And I'm still not clear how this equates to not having real time control over the knobs? I must be missing what you're saying.

• Members

Originally posted by spoonie g

But, you see, bald guy in fancy car = guy with rack onstage while you sit in audience and bitch.

Sit in the audience? How dare you! I gig twice a week on average. I have a full head of hair and I blast my marshall head with a bunch of nasty stompboxes and that's the way I likes it.

• Members

Sit in the audience? How dare you! I gig twice a week on average. I have a full head of hair and I blast my marshall head with a bunch of nasty stompboxes and that's the way I likes it.

well, ok, so you open up for the guy with a rack and bitch.

• Members

But you still don't drive the fancy car. Rock and roll is about the ENTIRE package, bro. :cool::D

Archived