Effects loop and compressors

Sammie

• Members

Hey man,

Can someone help me out .

I would like to know if you can run a compressor thrue the effects loop?

Im using a Boss GX700 in to the effects loop of my head for reverbs, delays, and chorus.

and for leads I would like to use the compressor but I get a "pop" when it kicks in.

is this normal?

thanks

Sammie

• Members

Hey man -
Yeah you can use a compressor in the effects loop, but it has a more pronounced effect in front of the amp. Most people use their compressors between their guitar and their amp, but if yours is part of a multi-effect unit the loop is the only place for you to use it.

As for the pop that you hear when you kick it into the signal path, thats probably normal and most likely the result of some large change to the signal.

Try adjusting the settings on your compressor to figure out what exactly is making the noise. Start by setting the compressor to have no affect on the signal and if there are volume knobs on the effect itself, make sure you set it for unity gain.

If it still pops, you know right there that nothing you do will clean it up and you might start thinking of getting rid of it.

If it doesn't pop, well now you've got some work to do. Start adjusting the settings a little bit at a time and bring the effect "in" between adjustments to see when the poping starts up again. It may be that one setting is causeing the problem.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out. :thu:

Archived