Vintage fuzz Faces

Cornish

• Members

Hard to find info using Google as it brings up too much crap - anyhow...

Can anybody tell me the diff between the different Fuzz Faces in the 60's and 70's.

When did they switch to silcon? Are these the blue ones in the early 70's??

Are vintage silcon ones safe to buy i.e. unlike Geranium ones which are a gamble??

Cheers

• Members

Switch to Si? Sometime late 60s, probably 1969. All are a gamble, if you don't know what you are looking for exactly it is easy to be taken. Try to play one prior to buying, worth the extra price to have that option. Best source for all on the fuzz face is non-digital Tom's book (well analog man's too) book on effects.

• Members

Originally posted by Cornish

Hard to find info using Google as it brings up too much crap - anyhow...

Can anybody tell me the diff between the different Fuzz Faces in the 60's and 70's.

When did they switch to silcon? Are these the blue ones in the early 70's??

Are vintage silcon ones safe to buy i.e. unlike Geranium ones which are a gamble??

Cheers

Ask yourself this.. Do you really want to fork out hundreds of dollars and end up with a no playing collectors piece of {censored}???

I have been using fuzz forever starting with a maestro I bought for $10 back in the summer of 1967...

A good fuzzface is hard to find be it silicon or germanium..

There are several folks that make a great fuzzface today..You can start here http://www.analogman.com/fuzzface.htm

THe amp and guitar you use are as important to the sound of a fuzzface as the trannies..Have fun in your search but dont get caught up in the vintage hype.If a vintage fuzzface has that special magical sound,it wont be for sale at any price..

Archived