Potentiometer vs. endless encoder knobs

Twilight Drone

• Members

Hi,

I'm looking for a new MIDI controller for CS80V synth.

CME VX6 looks pretty good for the job. It has got 9 big sliders and

some knobs too. However specs say about half of the knobs are endless encoder type and the rest are traditional. What's the difference when using endless encoder one for filter cutoff for example?

Any experiences with motorised sliders out there? I don't really need that feature but I'm a bit worried about it being noisy, stiff or something.

cmevx6jw6.jpg

• Members

looks like a damn sweet controller. I have endless rotatires on my Q and I love them...basically there is no standard 1-10 area like on a normal knob....

lets say that the patch your on has it set to 60...when you change a patch the knob position stays the same but takes on the new value...maybe its a value of 10.

I find them very useful and an overall great idea.

• Members

However specs say about half of the knobs are endless encoder type and the rest are traditional. What's the difference when using endless encoder one for filter cutoff for example?

Just like electrobaby says.

If you'll notice about the knobs on the right half have little hash mrks to tell you where they are set. That is becasue no mattrer what program you are on, they will send that position to the program. So say you have something that is at 10 and the knob has started out about 3/4 of the way clockwise. if you turn it a couple of degrees CCW, then the number will jump to 90 something and then move down along with the slider.

The other half have no hash mark, because basically they are set (even when you first turn them) to whatever the program thinks they are. So in the same situation, when you start turning the knob CCW it starts out at 10 and moves down from there, with no jump in value.

Archived