Open Labs Miko is the S***

InsideLookinOut

• Members

Mine got here a few days ago and I've hardly gotten any sleep! It came with Cubase le installed. I just ordered the SX3 upgrade. With SX I'll be able to view my Motif ES7 as Vsti in Cubase. It rocks right outta the box. Mine has an 80 and 250 gig hd, dual core 64 bit processor and 2 gigs of ram. I can use lots of plugins and inserts and not even break a sweat. I love the way it's gui is set up. The touch screen is definitely the best feature. No more clicking a mouse. I use a Nintendo stylus or my finger. If I want to play on a full 76 keys I just play on the Motif. Well i'm off to the beach and then back to Miko!

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by myteeGTi

who was it here that ordered one, had huge problems with it and had nothing nice to say about their tech support?

I don't think anyone did. There was at least one person here who cancelled their order since they had to wait so long. People who placed orders in late Feb-early April (the first set of orders) are just now receiving their units ( If you ordered one today, you won't receive it until November).

I think this is why you haven't heard much about the product -- people are just starting to receive them!!!

As far as working, the new miKo should work similary to the neKo, only with a smaller keyboard (37 keys on the miKo versus 61- or 76- keys on the neKo models). It has a different audio interface (the Presonus Firebox instead of the M-Audio Delta 1010 which is on the neKo), but everything else should work the same (I think Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center is an OpenLabs dealer, but I have never been over there to demo a neKo).

I would like to see someone take some additional pictures -- the website doesn't have very many.

• Members

I've been playing with the numerous synths that are preinstalled in the Miko and some of them are amazing. I haven't heard anyone else talk about them. I don't feel the need to go out and buy more softsynths , especially since I already own some vintage and new hardware synths. There are some cool and tweakable sounds here. There are so many that you can pretty much cover the entire synth landscape. Even some modular things. I just open up the vst instruments and bam! I'm glad that Open Labs took the lead and created the best computer music integrated machines ever! I'll put up somes pics when I have more time :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by InsideLookinOut

I've been playing with the numerous synths that are preinstalled in the Miko and some of them are amazing. I haven't heard anyone else talk about them.

Aren't the sounds/software preinstalled on the miKo demo, light/LE versions or freeware?

** Update **

I did find this, but I don't know if this is for the miKo, niKo, or both:

http://www.openlabs.com/support/support_3rdparty.htm

If people are interested in software on this list, most of it is freeware you can download from KVR:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php

[i didn't realize there was so much free stuff out there on the Internet. Some of these plug-ins don't look too bad, especially since they are free :) ]

P.S. -- Pics, pics, we want pics !!!!

• Members

Originally posted by InsideLookinOut

The way these are optimized, there aren't any problems with Xp. As long as you don't use pirated software or mess with Open Labs' settings these are super stable. I can run tons of vst instruments and effects.

They have customized the OS and rewritten some hardware drivers for better stability than a "retail PC", but a person should be able to run any Windows software on a miKo/neKo.

Why someone would do that is another question. I personally would only put music apps on it.

Archived