Newbie: basic pedals query

G-smak

• Members

And there I was with a dead GT-3 multi-fx unit.

So I've been cobbling together a few pedals to try 'em out instead and I feel like a big ass/arse plugging in 9v batteries over and over again. I'm done with that baloney. Yet, I can't go buy some fancy-ass/arse pedalboard right now.

Being ign'ant about voltage and daisy-chaining and all that, how do I easily and safely power these without batteries? (don't fret: while I await newbie-friendly responses, I'm also making liberal use of the search function here!)

Here is what I'm playing around with at the moment:

Korg DT-10 tuner

Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ

Danelectro Chorus

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

MXR noise gate

Thanks.

• Members

You have to make sure that you're giving the pedals the exact voltage they require, that they're getting it with the right polarity, and that your power supply has enough current (amps) to power them. If you're trying to power more than one, you'll need something with high current, such as a PowerAll or PedalPower2 or OneSpot which are meant to power several pedals.
I think those are all 9V with the same polarity (negative center?), though I'm not 100% sure. You'll need to check that out by looking on the pedals, should be written on the back or at the adaptor jack.

• Members

I know you'll think it's really expensive for what it is, but believe me, in the long run you will save yourself so much time and energy and trouble and expense (because you WILL end up going for it IN THE END anyway) if you just bite the bullet now and get the Voodoo Lab PP2 (I wish I had done it in the first place!

Welcome btw!

• Members

Thanks for the welcome. I'll make sure to check on the polarity for all these pedals.

I read through a bunch of the user reviews here regarding the 1-Spot, and the majority were quite positive. I'm concerned that it only powers up to 5 pedals, however.

I'll research bondini's endorsement of the PP2, but I'm already skeptical because he used the word "expensive" in his post... ;)

• Members
Originally posted by G-smak

Thanks for the welcome. I'll make sure to check on the polarity for all these pedals.

I read through a bunch of the user reviews here regarding the 1-Spot, and the majority were quite positive. I'm concerned that it only powers up to 5 pedals, however.

I'll research bondini's endorsement of the PP2, but I'm already skeptical because he used the word "expensive" in his post...
;)

i power 9 pedals with my 1-spot. i dont remember how many mine can run but it was quite a few. i agree with the other post, go ahead and buy the power supply. i have some pedals that kill 9 volt batteries and unplugging from the input jack on the pedal and then replugging every time you play guitar sucks ass!!

• Members

The DC Brick is what I'm using right now to power my pedals. Its cheap, small, and has individual outputs to each pedal instead of a daisy chain, which makes it a lot easier to get everything set up IMHO.

The One-Spot is pretty cool too, especially if you're using just a few pedals, which it looks like you are.

Don't let people give you {censored} for the Dano pedals either. That EQ pedal is a serious bang for yer buck special.

• Members

hey guys. im kinda a newbie.i know how to use the multi effects and all couse i usually play my friends guitar and effects for about 5 months now. so i was wondering. which would be a better choice since i like multi effect pedals.

Zoom gfx1
Zoom 606
Boss Me 50

I wanted a wah pedal, but then i picked gfx1 cause it had 4 pedal, easy to use. so i figured i'll get the wah later on. sepperately. they can be connected right??
thats about it that i know of...
if there are suggestions, do share.

• Members

Thanks for the education, everyone. I now understand that the 1-Spot can power more than 5 pedals -- it just requires another daisy chain. I'll take a look at the DC Brick too.

The Dano Fish n' Chips EQ really is a gem. I learned about that one over on the amp forum.

• Members

Originally posted by sense_of_henry

The 1-spot might be a good choice for your setup.

But, the big question is:

Is the 1-Spot output regulated and filtered?? Enough to operate any pedal without added hum or noise?

Their web site says it is regulated and super quiet. The tech on the phone says the same thing, it's the quietest on the market.

Can anybody who actually bought one attest to that claim? That 9v output has to be virtually flat line in order for noise free operation..... If someone can verify that it is as quiet as they say, I'll order one today!

Thanks! - SC

• Members

I may be being realy dumb here but how does the one spot work?

Is it like the Brick where all the power lines come from the brick, or do you have to have effects pedals that thave an input and output power feed and then just attach the extension cables?

• Members

Originally posted by IluvRiffs

hey guys. im kinda a newbie.i know how to use the multi effects and all couse i usually play my friends guitar and effects for about 5 months now. so i was wondering. which would be a better choice since i like multi effect pedals.

Zoom gfx1

Zoom 606

Boss Me 50

I wanted a wah pedal, but then i picked gfx1 cause it had 4 pedal, easy to use. so i figured i'll get the wah later on. sepperately. they can be connected right??

thats about it that i know of...

if there are suggestions, do share.

Honestly, not meaning to give a generic reply, but if you can the best thing to do is go someplace that carries them and try all of them out. Some multi-fx units do some things better than others, and what is perfect for me might be useless for the next person.

I will say that you can't go wrong with Boss as far as reliability and general quality goes. I've never heard anything bad about the ME-50.

Archived