Which setup-- Privia400 & Micron vs. Fusion 6HD?

skier4467

• Members

Lemme get this straight. So you're asking:

Non-programmable toy piano + VA with horrible interface and severely limited key range.

vs.

Professional, programmable sampler/ROMpler/VA/FM/PM synth with hard drive recorder, sequencer, and a good keybed.

Right?

This isn't close to a fair fight. It's like tricycle + moped scooter vs. a Corvette.

• Members

That's really funny, I wouldn't choose a Privia if it was handed to me.

Fusion is a well liked workstation that seems to capable of everything, and for the money it can't campare to anything else. I personally have some reservations, but I'll let the owners speak.

Just one thing: most obviously, the first setup you mentioned lacks a sequencer, and the second one lacks a weighted fullsize piano keybed. So, I suggest you tell all those wonderful people here what is it really that you really want in your setup.

• Members

You encountered with some Fusion Lovers, skier..

(XorAxAx seems to be their leader.. He's in love with the Fusion..)

Well, mate, I can tell you, that I didn't like the Fusion . I had one in my house for about 2 months, and I didn't like it a lot.

Why, you ask?

Well, most of the sounds are awesom,and it has some great ,many features youll probably won't find in any other workstation in this price...

But, I really didn't like working with it... I don't know, maybe it's the cripple interface, maybe it's the TIME... (It takes some time to start, and to load samples..).

I found the Fusion excellent for people who want a great extra full-featured keyboard in their studio, and have some patient messing up with it, and don't care about comfort...

The Fusion has the potential, but it's just not as perfect as Alesis said it'll be.

Although, Alesis made a really big step making the Fusion.

I'm pretty sure their next workstation, is gonna kick lots of asses... (Korg's, Yamaha's, Roland's, etc..).

Although what I said, I think you should get it, if you compare it to the other choice.

The casio Privia is just an electric piano... Nothing more. And even as a piano, it's not very good. ( I actually liked the feeling, but not the sounds...).

And the Micron.. Well, it's a great VA, but youll need some patient (lots), to program with it, and make the best out of it.

Besides, It's really unrealiable. I know someone who got it, and the main function knob of his micron, just stopped working after about a month, and later, some keys broke.

The best solution, if you want a weighted keyboard, is to get the Fusion 8hd.

Again, I recommend the Fusion only if it's againts those two...

And one more thing.

To you, skier: That was my opinion. Maybe youll like the Fusion more... All youve got to do is check it...

Same about the priviamicron. Check all of the gear youre willing to buy, mate. Don't only listen to us...

To all Fusion Lovers: What I said, wasn't said in order to hurt you or you Fusion.

I didn't like it, I guess you do like it, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

• Members

Originally posted by 3p0

But, I really didn't like working with it... I don't know, maybe it's the cripple interface, maybe it's the TIME... (It takes some time to start, and to load samples..).

It seems there are conflicting reports about the Fusion UI. Some, like 3p0, say it's crippled. Others say it's one of the best ever made. I hardly ever see just medium reviews of the UI. Either it's the worst or the best.

Also, there has to be a reason for "fanboys" of the Fusion, right? If it was one of the worst things out there, there wouldn't be such a strong following, right? And why all the strong emotions about it?

Also, if people didn't like the UI, yet still bought it...what is the failing there? Shouldn't you have seen the problem UI when you tested it out? Wouldn't that have been a tip-off right there NOT to buy it? But you bought it anyway. Or did you? Did you really buy the Fusion knowing about the UI you didn't like? Why? Or did you just buy it sight unseen?

Just curious.

• Members

Originally posted by skier4467

If you had to choose which setup would you buy?

Casio Privia400 & Alesis Micron

vs.

Alesis Fusion 6HD?

It this something you're seriously considering or are you just baiting - I would like to be able to tailor my response.

Additionally, it would help to know:

1. what will be the primary use and context of the boards?

2. what type of music do you play?

• Members

I do not care for weighted keys at all ( also I think everyone using more than 76 keys is just showing off anyway ;) )

and........ I thought the Micron, LOOKED funny to me (funny as in "I don't ever want to see that thing again")

my choice would be the Fusion (and this is coming from a guy who let the Fusion crash multiple times (at least 4 times during a whole day) @ the Musik Messe 2006: but people have told me the OS upgrade / bug control/ new presets have helped the machine to perform as it should (haven't tried it myself tho, so I'm not completely sure, heh heh)

Furthermore, I'm no fan of the Fusion appearance, but that's another thread (or has been one, at least?)

anyway, it's a fun question, tho I'm not very certain these answers will get you any sensible new info.......

:D

• Members

Fanboy = Someone who bought a product (Be it a synth, car, supermodel) and now has the blinders on to justify their purchase.

They do not see faults with their new toy, and any that are brought up are quickly refuted with an excuse or redirection to the products (Often one) saving grace. They call everyone that is not as enamoured with their new toy haters, or insinuate a conspiracy. Of course the opposing view to the fanboy is coming from a stupid, uneducated, jealous, and possibly mentally ill person. Because of course there is no other reasonable explanation why they do not share the same view as the fanboy.

Given two pieces of {censored} and a roll of toilet paper wiped with {censored}, I guess I'd take the toilet paper. Maybe eventually I can get to the part of the roll without the {censored}!

I mean hey, {censored} is cheap these days right?

God I love these threads.

:wave:

• Members

:rolleyes: I'll bite!

I present to you the Hater, who has the blinders on that block out all positive aspects of the product, leaving only negatives.

The Hater often utilizes hyperbole to denigrate the hated product to an extreme extent, e.g. comparing it to toilet paper saturated with human waste. Rarely will the Hater present verifiable, quantitative data to support his claims.

What is the truth about the product? Obviously, it lies somewhere between the Fanboy and the Hater.

The Fusion is IMHO the best bang-for-buck synth on the market currently. Lots of features that work reasonably well for not much money. However it is certainly not perfect. My biggest disappointment with the Fusion is the lack of a second filter and sample crossfading. Since it is not perfect, in fact, many Fusion users will find one or more aspects that are a disappointment.

But then again, the Virus isn't perfect, the Q isn't perfect, and the Androm--

--the lesson is over for today.

• Members

Originally posted by XorAxAx ......................

But then again, the Virus isn't perfect, the Q isn't perfect, and the Androm--

--the lesson is over for today.

Xor - when you get your Androm-- , you may find that it's not perfect either (but it comes DAMN close).

NuSkool - you sound like you've got a real ax to grind. do you like any of your synths?

and yes, i know you'll say ' i like them, but i can admit they're not perfect' or somesuch. but maybe you could point out where anyone is saying that.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by skier4467

If you had to choose which setup would you buy?

Casio Privia400 & Alesis Micron

vs.

Alesis Fusion 6HD?

Alesis Fusion 6HD

I wanted to add that this was a very easy answer to give.

• Members

Originally posted by mildbill

NuSkool - you sound like you've got a real ax to grind. do you like any of your synths?

and yes, i know you'll say ' i like them, but i can admit they're not perfect' or somesuch. but maybe you could point out where anyone is saying that.

Oh I was just goin on the whole fanboy comment made earlier. As I felt there was a bit of irony there.

Fusion seems to be one of those synths where if someone says ANYTHING negative about it, the proponents get up in arms and make a big stink and get personal about it.

It's kinda like pickin on the special kid in class. For less obvious reasons with the Fusion, it seems forbidden to point out it's shortcomings, or to even say you didn't like it even after OWNING (Well, close enough) one! The guy for most part had POSITIVE things to say, but still got slammed for the small snippet he said that was negative about it. Let the guy have a {censored}ing opinion and STFU. If someone is blatantly telling lies, fine then lynch him. Otherwise how the hell does someone get a balanced opinion on the thing? Everytime I see the Fusion mentioned this Scenario happens. I guess that is my "ax" to grind.

Regarding my synths, I can surely tell you something that sucks about each one of them. They each provide different colors that are useful. But I wouldn't tell ANYONE they are the end all be all solution to your problems, as some do with whatever the current Kool Aid is.

Archived