Delay choice between a.....

Lund

• Members

Well....

What would you choose?

Im looking for a cheap (but good) digital delay (allready have an analog delay).

Choices...

Rocktron Short timer

Digitech Digidelay

Ibanez DE7

Boss DD3 (new model or old?).

I have listed the models after price... cheapest first.

The style is rock, blues, experimental... Eric johnson meets SRV meets Doyle bramhall II.

Hmmm im in doubt.... It has to sound nice both with overdrive and clean.

Regards

Michael

• Members

Well if you're going to get a Boss delay just get the DD-20. The digidelay was just as good as the DD-3 or DD-6 when I played with one, just didn't have reverse like the DD-6.

Check out the Line 6 Echopark also. I hear thats a good bang for your buck delay.

• Members

also.... i have heard that the DD3 does not convert the entire signal to digital signals... only the delay part... where for example the DD6 and DD20 does convert the entire signal...

I actually prefer the first method (in theory anyway)...

Does all the models i mentioned keep part of the original signal or are some of the different "processing" type.... hope this makes sence:D

M

• Members

Originally posted by Lund

also.... i have heard that the DD3 does not convert the entire signal to digital signals... only the delay part... where for example the DD6 and DD20 does convert the entire signal...

I actually prefer the first method (in theory anyway)...

Does all the models i mentioned keep part of the original signal or are some of the different "processing" type.... hope this makes sence:D

M

I'm not really sure, I know with at least the older DD-3's that they have a more analog sound, which might be part of how its processed, but I would guess that everything that you've mentioned is entirely digital.

• Members

From the four you mentioned i'd go with an older DD-3. I have a DD-2 which is supposed to be identical to the old DD-3's and i know i love it. I also have the DD-20 that has ton's of more options but if you don't use those the DD-3 will sound just as good. The delay's don't sound harsh at all which is a problem with all newer digital delays i have tried.

• Members

Originally posted by Zakko

Do you need tap tempo?

If not, go with a Digidelay.

If bought used, their much cheaper than the DD-3 and just as good.

Digidelay has a decent tap temp function ... digidelay is the best bang fo yo buck delay out there .. could be had for about 50 bucks ...

tap tempo

5 secs of delay

Hold function

Reverse

Tape modes ... holla

• Members

If you already have an analog unit, and you want a digital one, i'd forget the Short Timer. It's a good unit, but it doesn't do anything you can't do now. Basically, i like digital delays for their longer times and their options. -
The Digidelay is a great unit - how many different options do you need? Do you want a little sample function? Reverse? etc. I also like the DD3 - less features, but sounds good. IMO, the Ibanez is a top little thing. Good "analog-y" sounds... but all it will be is an extension of what you already have.

From those listed, i'd go for the Digidelay, purely for the options.

Also, have a look at Marshall Echoheads. They're nice.

Archived