My delay works as a booster - weird?

RomanS

• Members

Just explained this to somebody who PMd me about my Rocktron Short Timer delay pedal:

I love the sound I get from that pedal, but I noticed something weird recently:

I stopped using the pedal with 9V batteries, since I needed a new one very often (like, every couple of hours of practicing).

I have a nice pedal-board power-supply unit, but not the right cable to connect it with the ShortTimer (which uses a bigger plug than the regular Boss size); I do have an old cheapo power-supply unit (300 mA max.) that has the correct plug.

But - since I started using this DC unit, the delay also acts as a booster - no matter whether the effect is turned on or bypassed, the signal is much hotter than if the pedal is not in the signal chain; I had to reduce the pre-amp gain on my tube amp to prevent it from overdriving.

Can anybody explain what's going on? Is my power supply the culprit, or is that a 'hidden feature' :freak: of the Short Timer (the sound did not change, incidentally, it is still as marvellous as with batteries).

• Members

Hmm, OK, I tried it again, with a brand-new battery right out of the package - and I think I may have been tricked by memory - but the boost in signal level very definitely is there with both the battery and the DC adapter (though it seems to be less pronounced with the battery); I think I made the mistake because I first noticed the effect when playing with my guitar teacher, who provides a small Fender practice combo for his students, and that thing overdrives very easily (and I only used the Short Timer with DC adapter there, and always have to turn gain way down to get clean sounds); my own amp has tons of clean headroom, that's why I did not notice the difference when using it with that one and batteries.

Anyway, I also opened the pedal up - no trim pots inside, I guess I'll have to switch to the 'Lo' input on the amp...

Archived