Small Fry-- Good pedal, but too hideous to own?

endo23

• Members

I just want to say I love Dave Barber's stuff, but he REALLY needs to get someone with design experience on his staff. His pedals are TERRIBLE looking. The Small Fry makes me want to poke out my eyes.

(Bet it sounds amazing, though.)

• Members

Funny, I think it's one of his better looking pedals. I think the Silver LTD is the best though. Several are just average looking and a couple like the Tone Pump I don't like the lettering on. I think people tend to underestimate the graphics/aesthetic appeal of pedals.

• Members

no offense to anyone on here at all but ill never understand how much aesthetics weigh into peoples opinions on this site. i mean..a nice facade is cool and all but if a pedal is good, its good regardless of how ugly it is
Conversely, when Catalinbreads new pedal photo was posted here...everyone jumped all over it saying they wanted one without even knowing what it did. All they cared was that it looked "cool". i love catalinbread products, but for all anyone knows, the thing makes fart noises.

I guess I just don't get it. I dont care what a pedal looks like.. if it looks cool, awesome. if not..so be it. I mean, I have a keeley katana thats all white with zero graphics at all. makes no difference to me

• Members

Well, I'm a dork and an aesthete. Some people are hard-wired that way-- there's nothing we can do about it.

Believe me, it's not like I sit around going, "Yes, I can't wait to spend five hours on the cover art for this mix CD getting all the fonts and color coordination just perfect so my girlfriend can say, "Thanks," rip the tunes to her iPod and throw the custom artwork away!"

No, it's not like that at all.

My brain just DEMANDS that things look "good," as relative as that term is. It's more of an affliction than a point of pride, though.

(And I still think the Small Fry's knobs are a travesty.)

• Members

I think part of the need for a visually satisfying pedal comes from the fact that after spending a sizable chunk of money on a pedal, it's nice to have a nice pretty new toy to look at. It just makes it seem like the whle purchase was just a little cooler and more worth it.

• Members
Originally posted by endo23

Well, I'm a dork and an aesthete. Some people are hard-wired that way-- there's nothing we can do about it.

Believe me, it's not like I sit around going, "Yes, I can't wait to spend five hours on the cover art for this mix CD getting all the fonts and color coordination just perfect so my girlfriend can say, "Thanks," rip the tunes to her iPod and throw the custom artwork away!"

No, it's not like that at all.

My brain just DEMANDS that things look "good," as relative as that term is. It's more of an affliction than a point of pride, though.

(And I still think the Small Fry's knobs are a travesty.)

Listen, to a large extent, I am the same way. Believe me...don't think I don't love that my Orange amp looks foxy on stage ;)

But what I don't get is people who get hyped about an effect based on what it looks like or dismiss it for the same reasons..without even hearing it. That's all :)

Archived