Roland GR-33

• Members

It's Rolands best right now with 384 instrument sounds. It's sound source derived from the Roland JV-1080 synth module. Dedicated Chorus and Reverb processing, plus 40 multi-effects including rotary and overdrive. Synth Harmonist feature adds intelligent harmony to a single note. Assignable expression pedal and onboard arpeggiator.

Massive sound power for guitar. Compared to a single effect pedal for $500, the GR-33 is a steal.

• Members

I totally agree with StompboxMan - the GR33 is excellent. I've owned the GR50, GR30, and now the GR33 and it is, indeed the best guitar synth Roland has produced. The synth engine which is based on the Roland JV 1080 is far superior to the previous Sound Canvas-based synth sounds. I've spent some time tweaking the patches and have come up with some great sounds. Just last night I used it at a gig where I played electronic music with two synth players using vintage and modern equipment, and I got a lot of comments on how good the guitar synth sounded. Incidentally, it also makes an excellent synth module when controlled by a midi keyboard as well. I guess it depends on what kind of music you are playing whether it suits your needs. But for the kind of ambient electronic/ Robert Fripp-type stuff I use it for, it's great.

• Members

Hmmmm i did have the gr33 and i must say playing synth guitar opens up an new world of sounds but the tracking is on some patches a bit disappointing, at least with the gk element.
An other gripe is that the analog audio converters aren't to great. this machine could have really sounded better.
It's too bad that there isn't not much competition in this market.
Interesting enough is that the vg88v.2 also has a few synth sounds, wich tracks flawlessly.......... so it can be done!!!!!, but when???????....................:bor:

• Members

As I understand it the VG88 and GR33 are completely different animals. The GR33 takes MIDI, processes it as MIDI events triggering a synth patch. The VG88 is more of an analog thing that mixes the analog guitar signal directly with the synth output creating the illusion of better tracking.

Apparently the total number of units sold for guitar synths worldwide is under 1000 annually. Doesn't really lend itself to spending much on R&D but does lead to a chicken and egg scenario - would more units move if they tracked and sounded better?

I use mine at open mics when playing solo stuff and for recording MIDI that gets tweaked and poked. Sometimes I'll play a MIDI file through it and record the audio cause the GR has a voice that I'm looking for. Better tracking and sound [although with proper cabling it sounds pretty fine as is] would be nice but wouldn't change how I use it much.

• Members

It's good, but not good enough.

I had a Godin Mutiac guitar + GR33 setup and I sold both. GR33 has many good sound, sax, trumpet, etc, but tracking is not as good as my GI10.

Currently I am using Roland GK2A + GI10 + JV1010 module. I would say the tracking is better than GR33. Too bad GI10 does not come with features on GR33, so I am thinking to buy a GI20. Dedicated MIDI converter GI10 or GI20 is better than GR33.

Archived