Chorus Pedals

fenikz

• Members

hola, this is my 1st post

ok so I bought a Peavey Ultra 120 and i knew that the clean channel wasn't going to be great but i would like to fix that with some pedals probally chorus

i have about $130 right now but don't be afraid to suggest somethign more expensive if its alot better

I play stuff like Rock(Guns N' Roses & Led Zeppelin), Older Metal(old metallica and megadeth), Metalcore(atreyu & avenged sevenfold), and some punk

• Members

Man that's wild, That was my amp! saw the AZ, and the screen name like ur email so I put 2 and 2 together. How's that amp treating you? Couple of tips on getting your sound out of it. First off the eq on the dirty channels are tough to master b/c they're all powered, so they're very touchy and don't work like normal eq. The eq set at 12 o'clock is like having a passive eq maxed out, so I reccomend setting the eq at less the 12oclock on the gain channels, and getting your volume with a by turning up the preamp. Also an overdrive or clean boost goes a long way. I used tube screamers and a Pd-01. Also compression helps the clean out a lot, and gives you endless sustain on the drive channels, great for rythm. An eq in the loop does wonders too. What kind of cab are you running it through? If you don't already have an od, check out the visual sound route 66, it has a tubescreamer and compressor in 1 pedal, and they go for 60ish on ebay.

• Members

Also I had a couple chorus's that I didn't like with that amp, if it helps. Boss ce-5, too subtle for my tastes, and the ibanez 9 series chorus, way too dark, but much thicker then the boss. I just picked up a VSh2o w/chorus that sounds pretty good, but has more of a vibrato sound to it, but I havn't played it on a clean amp so I don't have a good overall impression of it.

• Members

All I want is a ce-1. I had a jc120 for a while, and man the chorus on that thing was to die for! I've never heard anything so huge. But I paid 280 for the amp, and you can bairly get an old ce-1 for that price. Roto sound has a copy that i'll get once i fall into a lot of cash.

• Members

well retro-sonic makes a ce-1 clone that superseads your budget (240$)

that is probably arguably the top 1 of 2 chorus stompers being made right now (IMHO)

but for the price range and for what you are looking for i would suggest the:

Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus Pedal

its definately not a pure clone of the ce-1 but it is based on the same circuitry and can get close enough you can get them for around 150(or less) new shipped if you know who to talk to and ask nicely

for the price i think it is a great alternative to its hundred dollar plus competitor...it really is a nice chorus

• Members

Originally posted by fenikz

hola, this is my 1st post

ok so I bought a Peavey Ultra 120 and i knew that the clean channel wasn't going to be great but i would like to fix that with some pedals probally chorus

i have about $130 right now but don't be afraid to suggest somethign more expensive if its alot better

I play stuff like Rock(Guns N' Roses & Led Zeppelin), Older Metal(old metallica and megadeth), Metalcore(atreyu & avenged sevenfold), and some punk

You're a metal guy. So that means you'll probably like the thickest baddest chorus sound you can find. Something that is so thick you can use it with high gain.

I'd suggest looking at the digitech whammy pedal. The detune setting on it is one of the best chorus sounds for metal. Plus you can use the whammy effects and harmonies for metalcore.

Honestly, I've tried a lot of choruses and think the whammy detune is my favorite for a metal player. You can also change the sweep a bit for a flange like setting or heavy leslie type of vibrato all with the foot control

Check it out

• Members

To freeridstylee: thats crazy my 1st post here and you reply to it, the amp is great, I love the crunch and ultra channels. I noticed the EQ thing i'll have to try your suggestions, my cab is a Avatar 212 with V30's, I haven't got a chance to play with the master past 3 but it still sounds great.

To exactopposite: my friend suggested that too, i listened to a few clips of it and it sounded good. do you have one or know how it sounds on just a decent clean channel?

To Esperanto: the chorus was supposed to be more for my clean channel, but i've heard good things about the whammy, i'll have to look into it.

i was listening to clips of a Ibanez CS9 Stereo Chorus Reissue and it sounded pretty good, any opinions on that?

• Members

Originally posted by exactopposite

its isnt' a chorus convo is novody mentions the small clone. i love mine

Someone is also obliged to mention the Jacques Meistersinger, so I'll do that. Great pedal and fits your price range.

That said, I'm not a metal player, so esperanto may well be right on the money.

• Members

Nice man, yea thats messed up, the internets a small world. nice cab, I used v30's with it, sounds great. The only gripe I had with the speakers was you get wrecked with treble if you stand right in front. They're very direct speakers. I put some duct tape dead center, and it definately evens out the sound a lot (I have an ugly ass blue crate cab, so the duct tape doesn't bother things much) people have been talking about weber beam blockers, but eh, duct tape does the job. Also my experence w/ the cs9 was through a ibanez ue-405, its supposto be a cs9, but who knows might be different. Stereo will always dominate mono chorus.

• Members

You might check the classified or EBay for a Boss CE-2. I have one and I love it. Not as thick as the Ibanez CS-9 but it is great if you aren't into the in-your-face chorus effects. You might also lookinto the Rocktron Tsunami. It's another good pedal, but I haven't seen one in a while. I wonder if they still make them?

• Members

Originally posted by bond

ce-1's are hot, but are going for too much now ...

i'm thinking of building a clone

I don't think anyone has a board, or has gone through and worked out all of the kinks. I've seen the schematic, it's one of the more complex pedal's i've seen. If you know anyone who has, let me know!

Archived