Can I use an 18v power supply with my DD-20?

veil

• Members

Originally posted by The Friendly Ranger

You're supposed to use a 9V supply. Some stompboxes are designed to accept higher voltage and step it down to 9V but whether or not the DD-20 can do this, I do not know. To me, it's just not worth it to find out the hard way. I'd use a 9V supply.

Word. I don't want to blow anything up, but I didn't have a 9v handy, so I thought I'd ask. I'll pick one up tomorrow. Weirdly, the DD-20 manual is pretty vague about what kind of power supply it accepts. It just says an AC supply, Boss PSA series.

Also, now that I mention it, I'm not even entirely sure why I think my particular power supply is 18v. It's a Jim Dunlop one that I've been using with my 535q wah pedal. On the back, it says:

I/P: 120V AC 60Hz 8W

O/P: 18V DC 150mA

• Members

Originally posted by veil

Also, now that I mention it, I'm not even entirely sure why I think my particular power supply is 18v.

I/P: 120V AC 60Hz 8W

O/P: 18V DC 150mA

probably because it says the output is 18 volts..................

• Members

The PSA120 is the standard 9v adapter that Boss has used for a long time. I don't think they say in the manual what it is really.

The DD20 is a current hog so make sure it has its own power supply or you have a big one (like a Powerall or a Onespot or what have you.)

• Members

"The PSA adapter is a regulated power supply that outputs 9V DC and can supply up to 200mA current. Regulated means that the power supply contains a circuit that helps stabilise the voltage at 9V even when the load is increasing. The earlier ACA adapters did not have this feature and when many pedals were connected, the voltage would drop."

www.bossarea.com

• Members

Originally posted by phyrexia

The PSA120 is the standard 9v adapter that Boss has used for a long time. I don't think they say in the manual what it is really.

The DD20 is a current hog so make sure it has its own power supply or you have a big one (like a Powerall or a Onespot or what have you.)

it's definately a power hog. i run it with it's own power supply or else the sound quality suffers.

• Members

I have a GodLyke Powerall (1.3 amps, i think) and ran everything on my board at once with it, no issues.

Now I could run all my pedals with one boss adapter
:cry:

i have a godlyke powerall too but the DD-20 will still be noisy if you run it with a few pedals hooked up to the godlyke.

• Members

Originally posted by Elliott Damage

i have a godlyke powerall too but the DD-20 will still be noisy if you run it with a few pedals hooked up to the godlyke.

Really? I never had any issues with it. I guess YMMV.

• Members

Really? I never had any issues with it. I guess YMMV.

Me neither. I've run my DD-20 off of both the PPII on the line 6 setting (16V i think) and with the powerall, with no noise or problems ever.

• Members

Originally posted by Blungo

Me neither. I've run my DD-20 off of both the PPII on the line 6 setting (16V i think) and with the powerall, with no noise or problems ever.

i can hear a faint noisy little pulse (sort of like static) every time the led blinks on the DD-20 when i have multiple pedals plugged in. i wonder why mine is the only one that does that. maybe we have {censored}ty power in my house

• Members

i can hear a faint noisy little pulse (sort of like static) every time the led blinks on the DD-20 when i have multiple pedals plugged in. i wonder why mine is the only one that does that. maybe we have {censored}ty power in my house

Weird.

I've had two DD-20s and no noise issues with either, even if i run them at the +4 db output setting.

I have pretty {censored}ty power at my place too. If you turn on an iron all the lights dim.

• Members

Originally posted by Blungo

Weird.

I've had two DD-20s and no noise issues with either, even if i run them at the +4 db output setting.

I have pretty {censored}ty power at my place too. If you turn on an iron all the lights dim.

maybe i should make sure i'm not at the +4db setting.

it could also be cables in front of the DD-20 inducing noise into the signal.

• Members

No, mine did that same thing too. It sucked bigtime when I used high gain. I swtiched to the PP2 for that reason and it fixed it.

• Members

Originally posted by veil

Ok, I also have an Alesis 9V adaptor, but it says 830mA. I don't even know what mA is. Does it have to be 200mA to work/not kill my pedal?

it will be alright, the mA is what the power supply is capable of putting out. you will only draw 200 mA of the 830mA available, so you will be fine with power to spare.

The DD20 takes 200mA.
:cry:

although 200 mA at 9V is less power than 180 mA at 18V, but I don't think putting 18V into the DD20 would be good.

• Members

Originally posted by mamberg

it will be alright, the mA is what the power supply is capable of putting out. you will only draw 200 mA of the 830mA available, so you will be fine with power to spare.

although 200 mA at 9V is less power than 180 mA at 18V, but I don't think putting 18V into the DD20 would be good.

Yessss.

Thanks man!

Archived