Aussies Fight Night - Green or the Man Mundine?!

• Members

Agree ... I've been backing Green for a while now - I hope the man get's beat but it will be a close contest as Mundine does have speed and skill - whereas Green has height and a strong jab. Both these fighters have had trouble in the past with fighters of the other's style so it may be a tougher match than most think.

• Members

Yup it will be a tough match ... as I say, Mungbean is definately a good fighter so he should not be underestimated - Green is not going to have it easy and I do believe there is some truth to fact that Mungbean has a slight edge.

Apparently they are talking about a 3 match set-up after this match - can you imagine the money both these guys are gonna make from that? They know it for sure ... the weird thing is that neither of these guys are world class and yet it's the biggest fight in OZ ... there are better fighters in OZ but nobody knows their names ... that's what Mungbean has been able to do and that's talk it up and create a profile ... ya think he's not smart? :)

• Members

Yeah, i don't think he's smart. He just has the balls to do the talking up. He's far from eloquent or even witty.
He's a dick that most of us want to see get pounded (right?)

Wouldn't Big Talking 101 be the frist thing you'd learn if you wanted to make big bucks as a fighter?

• Members

Originally posted by Fourth Floor

Yeah, i don't think he's smart. He just has the balls to do the talking up.

wouldn't Big Talking 101 be the frist thing you'd learn if you wanted to make big buck as a fighter?

I disagree Dan ... I think he may be less educated but that's a different thing from being stupid. He talks it up because he knows full well it creates headlines and garners a reaction from the public and dare I say it, people like yourself. All of this whips up a media storm and he laughs all the way to the bank! The guy knows exactly what he is doing - sure he believes his hype but to think the guy is stupid is a gross underestimation after looking at the football career he has had and the way he has been able to move into boxing and become the biggest name in Aussie boxing without any serious international titles under his belt. If you think that's stupid well ... sheesh.

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Yeah but you haven't answered the question.

Probably Green but I really haven't been paying any attention to it, It might have got my attention if they fought a few years ago but they have both been talking this up for a long time and I think it is gonna be a bit of a fizzer as far as the actual fight

• Members

Can't say I've seen anything of his football career other than the gymnastics after a try.

I wasn't referring to his education, I don't know his background. I just want him to have some decent lines if he's gonna go that route.

He's fought guys below his ability and when he's come up against anyone who stands a chance, the Man has gone down.

- ahhh, what do I know about boxing? :D

I disagree Dan ... I think he may be less educated but that's a different thing from being stupid. He talks it up because he knows full well it creates headlines and garners a reaction from the public and dare I say it, people like yourself. All of this whips up a media storm and he laughs all the way to the bank! The guy knows exactly what he is doing - sure he believes his hype but to think the guy is stupid is a gross underestimation after looking at the football career he has had and the way he has been able to move into boxing and become the biggest name in Aussie boxing without any serious international titles under his belt. If you think that's stupid well ... sheesh.

• Members
Originally posted by tigger_ferret

Probably Green but I really haven't been paying any attention to it, It might have got my attention if they fought a few years ago but they have both been talking this up for a long time and I think it is gonna be a bit of a fizzer as far as the actual fight

Well if it is a fizzer I think it will be a scandalous scam and then become the biggest story in the sports pages ... YES AGAIN! Either way both these guys win out of it though I am almost positive that Mungbean will be earning way more than Green. Nobody knew who Green was until Mundin called him out publicly because of Fenech ... neither of them are world class so why should we care? Because it's a fight about heroes and villains in the perception of the Aussie community ... look at it - you have a Aboriginal loud mouth Muslim boxer vs a white bread Irish Aussie.

This is classic Star Wars! :D

• Members

I have no idea about the relative boxing experience of the two, but I loathe Mundine's arrogance, so I hope he goes down. I remember when he was KO'ed a few years back - wasn't he accused of manipulating his weight so that he avoided fighting any quality opponents? I remember he tried to claim he wasn't really KOed...

• Members

it's a fight about heroes and villains in the perception of the Aussie community ... look at it - you have a Aboriginal loud mouth Muslim boxer vs a white bread Irish Aussie.

This is classic Star Wars!
:D

Sounds more like The Great White Hype to me...:D

• Members
Originally posted by Fourth Floor

Can't say I've seen anything of his football career other than the gymnastics after a try.

I wasn't referring to his education, I don't know his background. I just want him to have some decent lines if he's gonna go that route.

He's fought guys below his ability and when he's come up against anyone who stands a chance, the Man has gone down.

- ahhh, what do I know about boxing?
:D

That's sweet mate ... I hear ya, I hear ya ... I am going for Green also remember but I'm not one eye'd that's all. I think the distinction here is acting stupid and being stupid - just like people can be street savvy and not. I've grown up in Sydney and so has Mungbean so I know his football career etc but being a sandgroper your coming from another state where his career may not be as prevalent in your community awareness. Take it from me, sure he's a loud mouth but he is business smart. Yeah his lines are lame but it doesn't matter ... he laughs it to the bank. He's hammy but he has a whole chunk of Australia who seem to back him - you have to give the guy some credit that's all I am saying.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

I have no idea about the relative boxing experience of the two, but I loathe Mundine's arrogance, so I hope he goes down. I remember when he was KO'ed a few years back - wasn't he accused of manipulating his weight so that he avoided fighting any quality opponents? I remember he tried to claim he wasn't really KOed...

Probably all true ... but that's boxing is it not? Just look at the US boxing fraternity - there hasn't been an honest to god TRUE heavy weight champ for 30 years!

• Members
Originally posted by tigger_ferret

Actually thinking of all the dumb {censored} Mundine has done and said one of the dumbest things he has done is go on Celebrity Big Brother

Your not looking at it like a publicist though ... and that's the difference between what you think is a stupid move personaly but that is really a brilliant publicity move if you want to increase your profile. Everything is about profile and publicity ... ANY publicity is good publicity, you can always shape your {censored} later on but if no-one knows who you are you can't shape {censored}!

Just look at Kylie Minogue for gods sake ... :D

• Members

Here's something from the night so far ...

Wednesday May 17, 07:41 PM

Plenty of 'green' on show on fight night

Anthony Mundine claims to be the "people's champion", but there was a decidedly green feel on Wednesday night to his eagerly-anticipated super middleweight non-title fight with Danny Green at Sydney's Aussie Stadium.

There was a smattering of green clothing throughout the crowd and plenty of increasingly inebriated pundits were happy to voice their thoughts on the main event.

ADVERTISEMENT

"C'mon Danny" was the most tasteful and printable comment heard by fans of the "Green Machine", with plenty of less savoury advice on what they hoped the Perth-born, Sydney-based fighter would do to "The Man".

Celebrity row was largely vacant during the undercard as they waited for the feature bout, apart from former heavyweight champion Joe Frazier, the first man to beat Muhammed Ali before he lost two subsequent bouts with the greatest of all time.

Frazier arrived for the first fight of a packed undercard, while Sharks forward Lance Thompson, Swans pair Michael O'Loughlin and Adam Goodes and members of the Comancheros bikie gang were also in attendance.

Debutant Tyrone Tongia warmed the crowd up in one of the early bouts, knocking out Jason Cortis two minutes 54 seconds into the second round of their undercard bout.

Replays of Tongia's stinging right hook that landed flush on Cortis' temple and sent him tumbling to the canvas brought gasps of "ooh" from the crowd as they got in the mood for the Mundine-Green bout.

Aussie Stadium has been transformed for the event, with seats on the grass spreading back 25 rows, together with a host of dinner tables seating patrons who were readily consuming the food and drink on offer.

There were also plenty of people filling the stands for a bout organisers hoped would break records for an Australian boxing crowd.

There was even an appearance by the "Phantom Siren", made famous for confusing players during NRL games with his call that is eerily similar to that heard to kick-off league clashes.

His effort during a test of the stadium alarm system gave the crowd plenty of amusement as the fans waited excitedly for the fight seemingly all Australians want to see.

• Members

They are going into the final round!!! Latest updates from 10 news is that they are both standing at the 10th round about to go into the 11th with Mundine way ahead on points!!!! ... Green can only win it with a knockout!

Welllll what did I say ... Mundine had the edge ... looks like it's true. They are saying Mundine is likely to win it. :D

Archived