Powering DD20 with pedalpower 2

markjohn

• Members

I've always wanted to try powering my DD20 with my pedalpower2 (not the "plus" model), but I was afraid I'll fry it or something.

The manual stated that if I turn dip switches 5 or 6 on (to power line6 modelling pedals), it'll give me 200mA, which is enough to power my DD20. What stopped me from doing it was when I email Voodoo Lab about doing this, and them replying, saying that I shouldn't do it.

So I decided to consult the local fx guru, who not only mananged to power up his DD20 this way, but ALSO daisy chain it, powering his DL-4 using the same output!

So in case, anyone's wondering, YES it is possible to power your DD20 using outputs 5 and 6 (dipswitch on, but don't use the red cable). I've tried it at practice today, and so far no problems.

Which makes me wonder: why did Voodoo Lab introduce the "plus" model anyway?? :confused:

• Members

I thought that's the way you're supposed to do it? Normal cable, output 5 or 6... I can't remember which way the switch goes. It specifically says in the manual. And the DL-4 would get either 5 or 6 with the red cable (...again, I can't remember the switch position).

I've got a 2+ model, but I powered both those pedals at the same time off of it and never had any problems.

• Members

The thing is, on the non plus model, outputs 5 and 6 in normal position only gives you 100mA. When you flip the dipswitch to the On position, you get 200mA.

It's proven now that you can power the DD20 using outputs 5 & 6 with the dipswitch on. So why did Voodoo Lab introduce the 2+ model, which gives 200mA in normal position (and enough to power the line6 pedals)?

Andreas? Any ideas??

• Members

On the earlier (non +) model, flipping the switch on outputs 5-6 will give you 200mA max, but also unregulated voltage. This means that the voltage will be quite high when there's no or a small load (which is where the readings of 16-ish volts comes from). As the load increases, the output voltage will decrease.

The DD-20 *should* power up from the L6 mode - as it uses almost all of the 200mA available, the voltage will be far lower than the 16 or so volts the PP2 puts out without any load. But the pedal might not like the unregulated voltage, and may respond by being noisy. I have read reports where people have made this work just fine, and others where people have gotten bad hum problems when trying. In yet other cases, the pedal has simply refused to work.

On the "plus" model, the L6 mode is the same as above (200mA unregulated) - the only difference is that the voltage regulator for the normal mode is bigger, so it can handle 200mA @ 9vDC.

/Andreas

• Members

Originally posted by markjohn
So does that mean it's not safe to power the DD20 that way? Will using it like this fry the pedal or the pp2 gradually?

I couldn't say - there are conflicting reports on wether or not (and how good) it works. I haven't heard anything about blown pedals, though, only issues with noise or the pedal not powering up properly. For some it seems to work just fine, while others have had less luck.

What I do know is that the DD-20 expects 200mA of regulated 9 volts DC, and it's only the "plus" model that meets that exact specification.

/Andreas

Archived