HELP! BBD delay repairs / mods >> Who does it?

Boron

• Members

Hiya,

The forum tells me my DOD FX96 isn't giving me all the delay time it can. Curently I estimate it gives around 130 msec, while most people who have used one claim it'll do 300-400. I love the sound of this box and it oscillates beautifully, but at 130 msec it has really limited applications.

Are there any modders / builders who can have a look inside this puppy and see what the deal is? Also, what's the bill likely to be?

Cheers for any info.

• Members

Sure, you could send it to Howard Davis, Analogman or Toneman Don Butler....the chips can be pricey, and with the bench fee you're probably looking at least $50 I would think.....what about changing out the chip yourself? That might fix it for cheap, and probably couldn't hurt.

• Members

Thanks for the info guys... yeah I was thinking about Howard Davis.... but irrespective of who does it, I think any repair over $50US is a bit steep (in this case).

And re: the suggestion of the trimmers..... it's the first model with the tape graphics on it - no trim pots....

:-(

Cheers anyway. Might just leave it lying around for it's grumbly oscillation tendancy.

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by amanonfire

yeah you could try changing the chip yourself, just use heat sincs, or socket it (which is actually the best thing IMO).

but before you start soldering i would try mucking with the trim pots inside.

Are these BBD's delicate little critters to work with? I know nothing about soldering/electronics (I should learn one day) but I know people who would be demons 'under the hood'. Also, where can I get an MN3005 (or whatever it is)....

Cheers,

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

Yeah, if it's delaying and sounds good, then it may not be the chip. Sounds like a trimpot adjustment to me...

You sure there aren't any in there?

Nope - that was one of the first things I checked (even before I was told it should be delivering more delay time than I was getitng)

Cheers,

But I will have another look.....

;)

• Members

Okay second check - absolutely no trim pots in there. Could it be the delay time pot itself? Just a thought. There is something on the PCB called "D1' that appears to have nothing in it just 2 stalks of wire - wonder if that's where the trimmer went in the revised model.

Thanks again,

EDIT - just Googled the bastard and came up with this....by some guy called "duderanimous" :-)

"The original version does not have any internal trim pots to adjust the max delay time. Rather, there is a fixed 100k ohm resistor across the delay time pot. The maximum delay you are going to get out of this with the stock 100k ohm fixed resistor is about 200ms. To increase this time to the usable limit of about 300-330ms, increase the resistor value here to about 115k-117k, but no more. I personally modded mine with a 110k ohm & 5.6k ohm resistors in series here. Icreasing it more will make the max delay time go beyond the usable 300-330ms, and sound like POO!!!"

So I will try this....

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

I would put a 50k trimpot in series with a 75k resistor. Then you can adjust the delay time with the trimpot.

You mean where dudeeranimous said? OK - I'll find a way of sorting that out. Awesome - thanks a million Sage!

• Members

Originally posted by Boron

You mean where dudeeranimous said? OK - I'll find a way of sorting that out. Awesome - thanks a million Sage!

Looks like he just put resistors in there...I would use a trimpot so you can adjust it.

Archived