Uli vs. Yngwie -Impaled on Classics

• Members

The fat cat wins hands down, even though I'm a total sucker for classical babes as featured in Uli's vid - check the bass player and the violinist looking somewhat like the young Emmylou Harris :love: Gotta respect his taste in women. Loved Uli on Virgin Killer, BTW, but this is too classical for me. Heck, Yngwie is too classical here for me too. Where is his Viking amp...tucked away and replaced by two gayass monitors? That is so not rock n roll!

• Members

Originally posted by RockNote

The fat cat wins hands down, even though I'm a total sucker for classical babes as featured in Uli's vid - check the bass player and the violinist looking somewhat like the young Emmylou Harris
:love:
Gotta respect his taste in women. !

+1!

Yngwie plays more interesting stuff, not to mention his vibrato is UN-{censored}IN'-MATCHED!

And I love his meaty Strat-neck tone too! And yes, Yngwie looks pretty {censored}in' meaty himself. :D I guess Mr. Carbon-Hydrate unleashed the fookin' fury on him. :rolleyes:

• Members

My vote goes for Malmsteen although I think both of them were ridiculous. The clips made me laugh out loud, in fact I was laughing so hard at the Scorpions guy playing Vivaldi that I nearly shat in my pants. Somebody should get David Lee Roth up there singing opera tunes with Tommy lee pounding on the drums, now that would be awesome.

• Members

also, does that sound in itself (wanky riffing against symphonic backround) remind anyone else of the top gun soundtrack? seems to date those guys pretty well. what decade are all those crazy guitar guys living in? i mean i'm not one for preaching conformity to current trends, but relentless conformity to past trends just makes me fidget

• Members

Hold on, we have to listen to the amp forum first

*shredder/mook tard*

{censored} you faggot emo shoegazer morons. Go blow tom yorke and listen to sonic youth while joining in on a mars volta circle jerk.

Jags suck Zvex stuff isn't brutal enough

Zakk is {censored}ing god, yngwie has more talent in his {censored} than faggy tim yorke

bro bro bro bro bro

killer bro

Ubershall forever

*end mooktard*

• Members

Originally posted by Speeddemon

+1!

Yngwie plays more interesting stuff, not to mention his vibrato is UN-{censored}IN'-MATCHED!

And I love his meaty Strat-neck tone too! And yes, Yngwie looks pretty {censored}in' meaty himself.
:D
I guess Mr. Carbon-Hydrate unleashed the fookin' fury on him.
:rolleyes:

agreed, that Uli guy's tone is horrendous, in my opinion.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzup

My vote goes for Malmsteen although I think both of them were ridiculous. The clips made me laugh out loud, in fact I was laughing so hard at the Scorpions guy playing Vivaldi that I nearly shat in my pants. Somebody should get David Lee Roth up there singing opera tunes with Tommy lee pounding on the drums, now that would be awesome.

you forgot billy sheehan on bass and steve vai as 2nd lead... :D

• Members

I'm young enough not to remember Malmsteen in his hayday but I'm lucky enough to have a older brother who has listened to pretty much anything that is rock n' roll. My brother was telling me that early in his career Malmsteen was so cocky, even going on to say that he was better than any guitar player even Hendrix. No one will remember Malmsteen because he couldn't write a {censored}ing song like hendrix(and I'm not even a big fan of Hendrix).I've listened to pretty much everthing rock n roll in my 23 years and I can honestly say that I see nothing in Malmsteen that is remoteley interesting. I can appreciate some guitar wanking, I'm not an indie fag(I love classical et al), but Malmsteen, and the Scorpions fag are just ridiculously boring. I'm not a fan at all of Eric Johnson or Joe Satriani, I think they are wankers(summertime is nice though), but I can understand why people like them(There are some brilliant ideas between them). Oh yeah Vivaldi is gonna walk the earth again to kill Uli with a violin bow if he plays any of his pieces again.

• Members

If the question was "which of these is good" I'd be hard pressed to answer. But if the question is "which do you prefer," I'd take the Yngwie performance, for a few reasons. Mainly, it's written for electric guitar. To me the Uli performance sounds so bad because a plucked electric guitar just doesn't mix as one of the voices in the acoustic bowed violin section, which are the lines Uli was playing. The only time it sounded okay was when he played without the rest of the violin section. Second, it doesn't really showcase what Uli is capable of, as far as I know. Sure there are some quick little parts and solo sections, but the Yngwie piece allows him to just completely go off, whether it's written in or not. And as I said before, since it's written for electric guitar his tone fits better to the written orchestra parts. Just my 2cents.

• Members

I started the thread just to see where it would go. I haven't listened to much shred or neo-classical since High-School, but now I find it simultaneously fascinating, hilarious, and horrifying. In other words, great entertainment.

:idea:... :D ...:eek:

I can't deny that the dudes have chops, but sometimes I wonder about their decisions.

I was listening to some Michael Shenker earlier today, (see the, "your favorite Youtube" thread), and I was amazed by how he could be tasty with his melodic shredding without causing me note fatigue

OT/: howdy Aramat-man, I'm still rockin' my Green Machine. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by fatbackribs

I was listening to some Michael Shenker earlier today, (see the, "your favorite Youtube" thread), and I was amazed by how he could be tasty with his melodic shredding without causing me
note fatigue

:

Something that's very important indeed!

That's why some of George Lynch and Richie Sambora's work really appeals to me. And Randy Rhoads (setting aside the horrendous tone)....

Archived