Barber Tone Press vs. Keeley comp.?

Karma1

• Members

A local music store has a Keeley compressor (blue 4 knob) that I tried out yesterday. It sounded great, but it's damn expensive - about $240. I know the Keeley is very highly regarded, but I've also heard great things about the Tone Press, which is half the price. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's tried both and get a comparison. I've been searching for the right compressor for a long time and have had Boss, Route 66, MXR Super Comp, and most recently bought a used Carl Martin, which I like a lot, but it picks up radio inerference even after extensive trouble shooting, Ferrite beads, etc. Anyway, how does the Tone Press compare to the Keeley? I want something that doesn't mess with your tone and squash your attack too much, which is what I've heard the Tone Press is good for with it's Blend knob.

• Members

I have had the Tone Press for a couple of years now and it's the best Comp on the market for my needs ... parallel comp, mix with your dry signal, internal trim pot, can act as 12db clean boost - solid construction, well built, great price, great service - best sound - never looked back.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Karma1

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's tried both and get a comparison. I've been searching for the right compressor for a long time

+1. I'm interested too. From what I've learned is that the TP will handle the clean needs perfectly. What I am also interested in is leads w/ distortion. Neither is readily available for me to test drive.

• Members

I've had 2 Tone Presses and 3 Keeleys, ended up with a Keeley. For a comp that isn't going to squash your signal the Tone Press is damn fine. It has a wide range of compression available and you can also adjust the internal trim to go from bright to dark if you prefer. I have a clip of several compressors here under "compout":

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=423953

The order is Barber, Keeley, Analogman CompRossor. First I play clean, then you can hear the comp click on and in between each section will be 3 seconds of silence. I am running the Morning Dew and an Analogman Silver TS-9 for the comp clips.

• Members

Originally posted by phishmarisol

I've had 2 Tone Presses and 3 Keeleys, ended up with a Keeley. For a comp that isn't going to squash your signal the Tone Press is damn fine. It has a wide range of compression available and you can also adjust the internal trim to go from bright to dark if you prefer. I have a clip of several compressors here under "compout":

The order is Barber, Keeley, Analogman CompRossor. First I play clean, then you can hear the comp click on and in between each section will be 3 seconds of silence. I am running the Morning Dew and an Analogman Silver TS-9 for the comp clips.

I liked the sound of the keeley the best, and I listened without looking at what the names were. I think the barber was also nice though.

• Members

Hey Brian - I have clips of the Diamond on that link as well if that helps any. In general I think the Diamond has more sparkle and less squash available. It's really subtle. The EQ is cool though and can get fairly dark or really jangly. Check out the clips.

• Members

Originally posted by phishmarisol

Thanks for those clips. Its great to hear those compared.

Archived