Got my 1/4" jacks, When I cut my cord what wires get soldered where on the jack?

• Members

Why are you using switching-type jacks?

Anyway, if you want to use them as regular female jacks, the cable shield attaches to the terminal connected to the threaded sleeve, and the center conductor attaches to the terminal connected to the longest, bent-over prong.

• Members
Originally posted by El Glom-o

Why are you using switching-type jacks?

Anyway, if you want to use them as regular female jacks, the cable shield attaches to the terminal connected to the threaded sleeve, and the center conductor attaches to the terminal connected to the longest, bent-over prong.

anywhere on the prong or does it matter :confused:

• Members
Originally posted by Junkhead

anywhere on the prong or does it matter
:confused:

I'm not sure what you're referring to by "prong". The wires attach to the "terminals" which are the little tabs with holes in them. If you have a continuity tester or a multimeter, you can use that to see which terminal is connected to which contact. In the case of the jack in the photo, one terminal is connected to the threaded sleeve (sleeve contact as referred to in previous posts by dot-dot-dot), one terminal is connected to the longer, bent-over prong (tip contact), and the third terminal is connected to the shorter prong that breaks contact with the bent-over prong when a plug is inserted.

Again, cable shield to sleeve terminal, center conductor to tip terminal.

Archived