Replacing jacks in a Russian Big Muff reissue.

Anal Log

• Members

Howdy,

I have a mates big muff, and I'm replacing the input and output jacks as he cracked one of them some how (just the ring)

I've de-soldered the plugs, and wired in switchcraft style jacks. I've got all my connections collect (double, triple checked) but I get a loud buzz when I disconnect the input jack.

What's the deal?

• Members

It'd always wise to use a stereo input jack, to turn the battery off when there's no plug in the jack (wire the battery negative to the "ring" connection, and the mono plug on the guitar cable will connect it to ground). If you don't want to do this, for some reason, you could use a mono jack with switching (so you can make the "hot" connect to ground when there's no plug in the jack). That will also make the pedal shut up :D

Also, check your ground connections on the jacks, to make sure they connect properly to the casing.

/Andreas

• Members

You could probably use just about any plastic jacks as long as the right bits were connected. If the lugs don't slide right into the Muff holes ( :D ) then you could simply run a few jumper wires between the PCB and the jacks.

I'd probably just get Marshall-style jacks if you want to use plastic ones:

http://effectsconnection.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=43

Archived