Where The Streets Have No Name-Organ Intro

wheresgrant3

• Members

I have forever loved this organ into and finally my band has taken a stab at covering this tune. Just wonder what helpful advice (if anyone) might have in constructing a beautiful, etheral, epic sounding patch like the one Bono used in the beginning of this song.

I would love to do this song justice. ;)

• Members

Dune kicks ass. Love the book, and it would have been amazing to see what Lynch could have done if De Laurentis had just left him alone.

Anyhow I cooked up a Streets Performance on my Fantom X. Since the original poster has a Fantom S, shouldn't be too difficult for him to cook it up. So here is my quick and dirty recipe.

The organ patch I just took from the Cathedral Organ preset from the XV Series Patches that Roland put up on their website. Just go download those (If you don't have them) and import the Cathedral patch.

The Pad I just cooked up on my Nord Lead. Nice subtle ambient saw's unisoned all to hell. Then in the Fantom I just mixed them together, having the Organ substantially lower. So you can just get the faint sound of the organ, but so it isn't drowning out the Pad. Then just throw on some effects (I used some EQ, a Super Filter, 3D Chorus, and a Hall Reverb) and you're ready to roll.

The intro has changed a bit on subsequent tours. However the Performance I cooked up seems pretty faithful to the original album. Most of the people you are performing for are probably casual U2 fans at best anyways, and won't be as critical as to how it sounds as long as it sounds "Recognizable."

• Members

Originally posted by EricM

Dune kicks ass. Love the book, and it would have been amazing to see what Lynch could have done if De Laurentis had just left him alone.

Anyhow I cooked up a Streets Performance on my Fantom X. Since the original poster has a Fantom S, shouldn't be too difficult for him to cook it up. So here is my quick and dirty recipe.

The organ patch I just took from the Cathedral Organ preset from the XV Series Patches that Roland put up on their website. Just go download those (If you don't have them) and import the Cathedral patch.

The Pad I just cooked up on my Nord Lead. Nice subtle ambient saw's unisoned all to hell. Then in the Fantom I just mixed them together, having the Organ substantially lower. So you can just get the faint sound of the organ, but so it isn't drowning out the Pad. Then just throw on some effects (I used some EQ, a Super Filter, 3D Chorus, and a Hall Reverb) and you're ready to roll.

The intro has changed a bit on subsequent tours. However the Performance I cooked up seems pretty faithful to the original album. Most of the people you are performing for are probably casual U2 fans at best anyways, and won't be as critical as to how it sounds as long as it sounds "Recognizable."

Thanks Man.... and the rest of the suggestions. This is a HUGE, huge help! Unfortunately I won't be using my Fantom. I gig using the Triton but it gives me some great ideas to create a monster sounding patch.

One thing I never mastered was Midi'ing one synth to a another to create a performance patch. Shame because the JV Catherdral Organ patch is absolutely wonderful.

Thanks

Grant

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

Not a big fan of the PSB version. I like the idea of the medley I just the delivery was a little uninspired.

i'm pretty much a sucker for _any_ PSB except for Bilingual.

i'm rather fond of their U2 cover because i enjoy it more than the original, and of course it was the companion to the "{censored} Bono '91" single they put out then, with "How can you expect to be taken seriously" on the other side.

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

NRG-Synth-Pop was a little dated by 1991.

tell that to Ian Levine!

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

i'm rather fond of their U2 cover because i enjoy it more than the original, and of course it was the companion to the "{censored} Bono '91" single they put out then, with "How can you expect to be taken seriously" on the other side.

tell that to Ian Levine!

Reminds me of a funny remark in the "Classic Album: Joshua Tree" DVD. Steve Lillywhite was fiddling at the mixing desk with the Streets multitrack, just showing stuff they recorded, but he didn't bother to mix in. Mostly sequenced drum beats.

"We never used this. Here is when the band became Depeche Mode" and then he switched to another beat and said "Pet Shop Boys!"

His execution made it alot funnier than it sounds.

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

i'm rather fond of their U2 cover because i enjoy it more than the original, and of course it was the companion to the "Fuck Bono '91" single they put out then, with "How can you expect to be taken seriously" on the other side.

tell that to Ian Levine!

I never knew that.. hahaha!!!

tell that to Ian Levine! Yeah but Dr Who is still pretty cool :D

Archived