Modify my Memory Man?

endo23

• Members

OK, so: I have a Diamond Memory Lane, which is an incredible pedal except it can't quite nail two analog delay sounds that I love--

1. VERY heavy reverb sound achieved by cranking the repeats almost to inifinite and a setting the delay time very low.

2. The self-oscillation is very harsh-- can't do spaceships or rummmmmmbbbbbbbble very well.

My Memory Man, which has been sitting on the shelf for a while, can nail both of these sounds, but I don't really want to add it to my chain in its current form, as it sucks tone. I know a few different builders offer mods to the MM, and I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with these-- there are so many different mods out there, I'm a bit confused which ones to go with. Some people add TB, others alter the buffered input for more clean headroom, etc. Any advice?

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

My Memory Man, which has been sitting on the shelf for a while, can nail both of these sounds, but I don't really want to add it to my chain in its current form, as it sucks tone. I know a few different builders offer mods to the MM, and I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with these-- there are so many different mods out there, I'm a bit confused which ones to go with. Some people add TB, others alter the buffered input for more clean headroom, etc. Any advice?

My input impedance increase mod will solve your problem.

Guitar pedal design engineering, repairs, and custom mods:

http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/

You can email me privately at howard.davis2@att.net

• Members

2. The self-oscillation is very harsh-- can't do spaceships or rummmmmmbbbbbbbble very well.

Big reason why I was pretty meh about the ML when I listened to the clips more than a year ago ... the self oscillation was really ear splitting and piercing and not the vibe I wanted like my old DM-3 - I was happy to stick with my DD20 for everything but that sound.

• Members
Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Big reason why I was pretty meh about the ML when I listened to the clips more than a year ago ... the self oscillation was really ear splitting and piercing and not the vibe I wanted like my old DM-3 - I was happy to stick with my DD20 for everything but that sound.

It`s the only thing on my MemLane I don`t like but no small thing. Kind of a shame, especially since the repeats are available on the expr pedal with all the possible potential but the piercing oscillation limits the use a lot.

I believe the sharp Q of the EQ is a main reason. A wider Q and a more flat EQ design rather than the filtered type (progressively getting brighter or darker for each repeat) could have solved this.

I may send mine in for a mod if Mike at Diamond can make it self-oscilliate in a more musical way. Here`s how mine looks

CS_mln_black.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by threm

It`s the only thing on my MemLane I don`t like but no small thing. Kind of a shame, especially since the repeats are available on the expr pedal with all the possible potential but the piercing oscillation limits the use a lot.

I believe the sharp Q of the EQ is a main reason. A wider Q and a more flat EQ design rather than the filtered type (progressively getting brighter or darker for each repeat) could have solved this.

I may send mine in for a mod if Mike at Diamond can make it self-oscilliate in a more musical way. Here`s how mine looks

CS_mln_black.jpg

Nice to hear a Memory Lane owner admitting to this because it's been very clear to me for a long time - I really do prefer the overall tone of the DD20 to anything else I have heard - if I could have the self oscillation of the DM-3 on the DD20 I doubt I would ever need another delay again - for that DM-3 thing though It's very hard to find on anything but a DM-3 ... I may have to bite the bullet and buy one again. No doubt the ML is nice but I found the overall tone quite high end for my taste.

• Members

Thanks for the tips-- I may ask Mike at Diamond what they can do about the oscillation issue, as he's been very cool about customizing things in the past.

I disagree with Tiki about the "overall tone" of the ML, which I love. It's really just the oscillation, which is a sound I use more than most players, I'm guessing... or most Canadians, at any rate.

• Members
Originally posted by jimihalen

I'll stick with my humble DE7 for those things.
;)

:thu:

For true analog delay, I love my DMM. But for the longer delays and that, I'm gonna have to stick the DE7 back in the chain as well.

• Members

I disagree with Tiki about the "overall tone" of the ML, which I love

My comments were only an indication of my own needs and weren't supposed to be an absolute for everyone ofcourse ... you dig your box more power to ya.

Archived